It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's time to give it up, Norm.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GROAN....WHEN WILL IT END...?????????????? Image

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:44 pm 
Deal With It!

Coleman to stay course vs. Franken

June 8, 2009

ST. PAUL, Minn., June 8 (UPI) -- Supporters of Minnesota Republican Norm Coleman say a decision by the state's governor to forgo re-election won't influence Coleman's U.S. Senate lawsuit.

Speculation was mounting in St. Paul and elsewhere that Gov. Tim Pawlenty's decision not to seek a third term in 2010 -- perhaps to seek the 2012 Republican U.S. presidential nomination -- means Coleman is planning to end his legal battle with Democrat Al Franken to overturn his recount loss in November's Senate race and instead run to replace Pawlenty.

But unnamed Coleman sources say that's not the case, the Washington publication Politico reported Monday.

"Not at all," said the source. "He ran for U.S. senator, wants to continue being a U.S. senator. … What (Pawlenty) has done or not done has never been a factor in his decision-making."

"I do not think he will quit before the (U.S.) Supreme Court rules on the case," added an unnamed former Coleman staffer. "He has too many resources invested and has a good case on equal protection."

Coleman's case to overturn Franken's apparent 312-vote win is being considered by the Minnesota Supreme Court.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/06/08/ ... 1244485789

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Deal With It!

Minnesota court orders Coleman to pay $95K to Franken

By Rachel E. Stassen-Berger
06/10/2009

Republican Norm Coleman owes Democrat Al Franken $95,000 for the U.S. Senate trial.

Coleman owes the cash because Minnesota law dictates that the loser pays the winner's court cost in an election contest. Since Coleman sued to overturn Franken's lead, he owes Franken's costs.

The decision today from the three judge panel grants Franken well short of the $161,000 he said he was owed for costs, which include items like court filings fees and courier services. The costs do not include attorneys' fees, which run many multiples of the $95,000.

The trial court decided today that Coleman should pay the costs immediately even though his attorneys argued the charge should be stayed pending the outcome of Coleman's Minnesota Supreme Court appeal.

Indeed, the court said starting today, the costs would start accruing interest for each day they are not paid.

Coleman also may owe Franken $16,000 for attorneys fees related to Coleman attorneys mishandling of a witness during the trial. That mishandling caused three days of delay.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12562287

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MINNESOTA SUPREME COURT SAYS AL FRANKEN WON!

The Minnesota Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered that Democrat Al Franken be certified as the winner of the state's long-running Senate race.

The high court rejected a legal challenge from Republican Norm Coleman, whose options for regaining the Senate seat are dwindling.

Justices said Franken is entitled to the election certificate he needs to assume office. With Franken and the usual backing of two independents, Democrats will have a big enough majority to overcome Republican filibusters.

Coleman hasn't ruled out seeking federal court intervention.

...BUT I WON'T BELIEVE IT UNTIL FRANKEN IS ACTUALLY IN COLEMAN'S SENATE SEAT AND BEEN CONFIRMED AND REFERRED TO AS SEN. FRANKEN!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 pm 
Deal With It!

FINALLY IT'S OVER!

WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN :D

NORM!!!!!

Coleman concedes!

June 30, 2009

Republican Norm Coleman is addressing supporters in St. Paul following a Minnesota Supreme Court decision today that found Democrat Al Franken has won the election. The USA TODAY story is here.

"I join all Minnesotans in congratulating our newest United States senator, Al Franken," Coleman said. "I have never believed that my service is irreplaceable. We have reached the point where further litigation damages the unity of our state, which is also fundamental. In these tough times, we all need to focus on the future. And the future today is we have a new United States senator."

Update 4:09 p.m. ET: Coleman says he had a "personal and very positive discussion" with Franken today. Regarding whether he will run for governor of Minnesota, Coleman said: "I haven't made a decision yet about the future...We'll talk about the future in short order."

Update 4:12 p.m. ET: "I've had a lot of time to process this election," Coleman said. "I really have a sense of peace of where things are at and it is now time to move forward...the court has spoken." Coleman said he felt comfortable and confident about his appeal: "The service to the voters of Minnesota is to stand up for the principle that every vote should count."

Update 4:17 p.m. ET: Coleman said he hasn't had discussions with national Republican Party leaders about the importance of allowing Democrats to get to 60 votes in the Senate. "I never felt any pressure about that," Coleman said. "What I felt was a commitment to getting it right.... I never really worried about 60 votes or 59 votes...I think a lot of folks are putting a lot into this 60 number."

Update 4:18 p.m. ET: Coleman: "For the media, this election has been a godsend...this has been the full employment act for the media."

Update 4:28 p.m. ET: Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has released a statement announcing that he will sign the election certificate, which clears the way for Franken to be seated in the Senate. "In light of [the] decision and Senator Coleman’s announcement that he will not be pursuing an appeal, I will be signing the election certificate today as directed by the court and applicable law." Earlier, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Franken could be seated as early as next week.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/20 ... eedes.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:22 pm 
Deal With It!

We'll be danson in the street!

Franken: "I Can't Wait To Get Started"

June 30, 2009 5:37 PM

Democrat Al Franken said today that he "can't wait to get started" in the U.S. Senate following a nearly eight-month legal battle with former rival Norm Coleman.

Franken, accompanied by his wife and amid cheers from supporters, said he had received a "very gracious call" from Coleman, who earlier conceded the Minnesota Senate race after the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled against him in an appeal over disputed absentee ballots.

Franken's final margin of victory over Coleman was just 312 votes out of 2.9 million cast.

Franken said he and his family are "so thrilled that we can finally celebrate this victory, and I am so excited to finally be able to get to work for the people of Minnesota."

"I know there's been a lot of talk about the fact that when I'm sworn in I'll be the sixtieth member of the Democratic caucus," Franken said, a reference to the fact that his presence in the Senate gives Democrats a filibuster proof majority. "But that's not how I see it."

"I'm going to Washington to be the second senator from the State of Minnesota, and that's how I'm going to do this job," he continued. He acknowledged, however, that he hopes to help push through President Obama's ambitious agenda.

Earlier, Coleman made an appearance at which he announced his concession and said "it is time now to move forward." The Republican could have appealed the Minnesota Supreme Court decision to federal courts but elected not to do so.

In his comments, Franken thanked Minnesotans for their patience and said he would fight for everyone in the state.

"I won by 312 votes, so I really have to earn the trust of the people who didn't vote for me," he said.

Franken said he had spoken to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who said Franken will be on the Health, Education, Aging, Indian Affairs, Labor and Pension and Judiciary Committees.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/06/30 ... 6369.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 am 

Its pathetic the lengths that the republicans went to to stall his taking office. This should be like when you sue someone and lose and you have to pay their legal fees. Coleman should have to pay Franken's legal fees!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's going to be interesting to see if Franken will use his talent as a comedian to fire some real good shots back at Michelle Bachman's stupidity...days ahead for MN should be more interesting than more of the same old same old being reported about SC's governor, Sanford.

Franken makes 60...the Dems have NO EXCUSE not to get to work and pass some good legislation and stop pussy-footing around the REPUBS. I'd be happy to see some campaign promises kept by all of them, beginning with the passage of an affordable public health care program... 8)

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:59 pm 
Deal With It!

Sign the Congratulations Card to Al Franken

Congratulations, Senator Franken!
Good luck in Washington.

We're standing with you as you
fight for health care, clean energy,
and a fair economy.

http://pol.moveon.org/congratsfranken/?r_by=16485-9854111-lURSOjx&rc=confemail

When you're done, be sure to sign the Condolence Card To Norm Coleman.

:P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:55 pm 
Deal With It!

A final happy ending to this thread:

:happy7: