It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The GOP decline starts Phase Two (let's hope)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 am 
Deal With It!

August 11, 2009

Republicans seem to be enjoying their August delirium and perhaps they should. For them, it only gets worse from here as the economy improves and Democrats ride growth—and their enactment of health-care reform—into the midterm elections.

by Robert Shrum

History does repeat itself—its central plot is recognizable even if the details of the drama are different. In a classic New Yorker cartoon of 1936, a gaggle of the affluent, including women in fashionable fur, stop outside a tony Manhattan residence where a tuxedoed butler is serving drinks. They tell their friends inside: "Come along. We're going to the Trans-Lux to hiss Roosevelt."

The legendary cartoonist Peter Arno perfectly captured the ideological frustration of the right wing as it watched an activist government, led by a president on course for a second electoral triumph, usher in economic recovery and major reform, including Social Security, which gained the support of only one Republican on the crucial vote before final passage.* (Yes, the more things change, the more they stay the same: See this year's vote on the economic stimulus bill.)

In 2009, the hisses of the old plutocracy have escalated into the caterwauling of a manufactured mobocracy intent on shouting down members of Congress and fellow citizens who come to community centers to ask honest questions. The screamers have been summoned into battle by Limbaugh, Beck and assorted demagogues, whose own hate speech is abetted by prominent Republicans ranging from Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell to Newt Gingrich and the shameless Sarah Palin, with her despicable prevarication that the "evil" Obama health reform provides for a "death panel" with the power to deny care to her Down syndrome child.

Ironically, the lies and legions of the right reached fever pitch at the moment the news arrived that, once again, activist government is succeeding in the wake of free market failure on a scale not seen since the Great Depression. Despite predictions that unemployment would soar above ten percent, the rate instead fell for the first time in a year. There is now a near-consensus, except among doctrinaire true believers, that federal decisions from the bank bailouts to the stimulus package not only prevented economic catastrophe, but have begun to spark an economic revival.

New home sales and home prices have ticked up; so have average weekly earnings. The pain isn't over, especially for the millions who are out of work. We'll see additional losses because employment growth lags economic growth. But growth seems likely to elide into positive territory during the second half of the year, with the recovery gaining momentum as we enter the midterm election year of 2010.

continued:

http://www.theweek.com/bullpen/column/9 ... _Phase_Two

Post subject: Re: The GOP decline starts Phase Two (let's hope)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 am 
Deal With It!

As Fox News Goes Up, The GOP Goes Down

8/10/2009

Last month I published an article on how Fox News Is Killing The Republican Party. It explored in detail how the embrace of of lunatics and their demented ravings, along with a misunderstanding of the television marketplace, was literally dragging the Republican Party down to some its lowest historical depths:

Quote:
“The more the population at large associates Republican ideology with the agenda of Fox News, and the fringe operators residing there, the more the party will be perceived as out of touch, or even out of their minds.”

Now Gawker has affirmed my analysis with a chart showing the divergent prospects of Fox News and the Republican Party. I took the liberty of modifying their chart to spotlight the period following last November’s election (amongst other things, like the demise of the GOP logo).

It couldn’t be much clearer. The post-election fate of Fox News is diametrically opposed to that of the GOP. The disparity has increased sinced November and shows no signs of letting up. Gawker sums it up nicely saying…

“Fox News’ viewership is up 45% over the last year, and it’s easy to see why: The ascendancy of a charismatic black Democrat has driven frightened, paranoid, enraged, nativist zealots into the ideological embrace of an outlet that habitually reconfirms everything they already believe. Watching Glenn Beck’s spell-binding sermons on Barack Obama’s racism is comforting to people who believe that their way of life—namely, one in which fatherly white Christians protect us from danger both internal and external—is under attack. So they do it more frequently. Tuning into Hannity et.al. becomes a life-affirming political act.”

Nuff said.

http://digg.com/d310ScB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 am 

Annie, thanks for the two great articles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ECHO LEFTY'S THANKS, ANNIE! It gives me hope because in my neck of the woods, there are more FAUX "NEWS" watchers than there are anything else. They constantly look for stations on the idiot box (what Carl Sandburg called a television) to validate their Dark Age way of thinking. You should see them, too...remember what so many of the people worshiping Sarah Palin looked like? Well...you know what I mean! :wink: :P

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm 

The horses in the background have my utmost sympathy when either of these two red-necked slobs has to ride them since they seem incapable of keeping a motor vehicle in running condition; carpenter tools and beer bellies won’t be much help in getting that car off the blocks.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote