It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OPETUARIES: PAWPRINTS LEFT ON OUR HEARTS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Friends, I'm posting OPETUARIES: PAWPRINTS ON OUR HEARTS as a sticky, hoping that TVNL members will find some comfort in having a place where they can post an OPETUARY about their animal friends/family members who have passed away.

Please use it as a place for peaceful reflection while writing the story of your pet's life and death.

PHOTOS FROM THIS YEAR'S WORLD ANIMAL DAY

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: OPETUARIES: PAWPRINTS LEFT ON OUR HEARTS
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:25 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

When I was a little kid, we had two dogs at different times. The friendly one was named "JJ", I believe.

My only memory of him was of him walking into the bathroom as my dad was attempting to yank my tooth with string and doorknob. JJ entered and exited the bathroom quickly on that. He was a calm lab mix.

Not sure why we didn't get anymore dogs. But he was good for more than pets; he was good for little kid hugs.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:19 pm 

Growing up we had a large sized poodle, named Jocko. Several cats made a mistake by entering our backyard as he proved to be an efficient hunter. He lived to the ripe old age of 19. In his final years, he was put on a no salt diet, with his favorite dish being boiled liver with pasta.

Right after getting married, we moved to San Jose and adopted a short hair all white cat, named Peanuts. He had come from a broken home where they had had a dog named Snoopy. Yelling Peanuts is problematic as it can be misheard as penis. About a month after he came to us, I couldn’t find him anywhere. We lived in the middle of three identical cul-de-sacs. I found him patiently waiting to be let in to a corresponding apartment on another cul-de-sac. I yelled up at him and he never had any trouble finding home again. He had a pink nose that would get sun burned (with black spots) if he spent too much time in the sun. While he was not leash trained, he would walk with us around the block or park all the while investigating the area around us. I am unsure how old he was when we got him but we had eleven great years with him.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Miss MollyCat, age about 15, passed away unexpectedly Wednesday, October 7, 2009, while being bathed in the Catnip Spa at her veterinarian's office. An autopsy revealed that Molly had an unsuspected heart condition which would have ended her life in a short while. Molly's adopted mother, Catherine, was very sad to lose her feline friend and companion of so many years, but believed that Molly exited her comfortable life in a way that she would have preferred, peacefully and without pain.

Molly was Himalayan, with soft gray fur, big green eyes, and preferred her own space on top of a table or shelf instead of a human lap. One of her favorite activities was to watch Catherine cook dinner. She loved grilled turkey made by Fancy Feast, warm milk, and lying about on the back deck of her home. During winter months, she could often be found in the sunniest location of her family's living room. Christmas was great fun for Molly, as she loved to lie on the packages under the Christmas tree. When the gifts were opened, she liked to slide under the scattered wrappings, thinking that she was hidden from everyone. Of course, she also enjoyed all the treats and toys she was given during the holiday season from her many relatives. Molly was the Alpha cat within her home, being the eldest and with the most seniority. She did not tolerate much interference in her life and daily activities from her two brothers, Saber and Charlie. She loved catnip, her scratching pad, and chasing butterflies.

Molly came to live with Catherine and her husband after being abandoned by some unfeeling wretch near Catharine's sister's home in a small town in North Carolina during a fierce thunderstorm in the summer of 1995. The sister rescued Molly and took care of her for awhile. She was at least a year old, if not older, and was expecting, but the vet ended Molly's pregnancy and helped her regain her health. From the time she was rescued, Molly never had another moment of hunger, thirst, or fear of not being wanted.

Miss MollyCat is survived and sorely missed by her adopted parents and extended human family, her feline brothers Charlie and Saber, her canine sister Patches, and numerous cousins.

Molly's body was cremated and her ashes will be scattered in a field in which she often played. May she rest in peace and know that she was truly loved and will never be forgotten.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buttercup, a male ginger and white cat, age about 17, passed away on Friday, June 18 following an accidental fall which resulted in a broken hip.

Buttercup, a friendly and loving cat, was rescued in 1995 from certain death on a busy highway by a lady who is Catherine's sister. He lived with his several cousins and human family in a small WNC town. Buttercup was very courageous and patient. In 2006, he developed a serious kidney ailment which required him to have an intravenously applied herbal concoction. Buttercup was always very cooperative during these treatments and seemed to know that they were intended to save his life, which they did for over four years.

Buttercup is survived and sorely missed by his human family, his feline cousins Saber, Charlie, Skyler, Lucy, Pomfret, Ambrose, and two canine pals, Winston and Patches.

Buttercup's body was cremated and his ashes will be kept by his human family.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am 

Oh you all have made me cry. I will write something about my dear Ladybug when I can do it without crying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady has not been forgotten by me, lefty....and Opetuaries are a great way to make sure others don't forget her, either. I wish newspapers would allow these kinds of memorials to our animal friends to be printed up. Many animals are more deserving of being remembered than lots of humans are... :wink:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lucy, a black and white Himalayan mix, passed away at an intensive animal care center in Blue Ridge, GA on Friday evening, December 3, 2010 following a period of declining health.

Lucy had been left a feline orphan when her original owner, Catharine's mother, passed away in January of 2006. At that time, no one really knew Lucy's age, but it is estimated that she was at least 20 years old at the time of her death. She went to live with Catharine's sister and enjoyed spending time with her feline cousins in her new home, where she was petted and pampered and allowed to sleep in her mistress's kitchen under the table in her special kitty bed. Due to her advanced age, Lucy did not do much frolicking around the house, but she enjoyed hanging out on the shelves, enclosed runway, and spiral stairway designed for feline exercise. Her favorite food was canned tuna and kitty treats, preferably those with soft centers. She also loved catnip and lying in sunny spots.

Lucy was preceded in death by brothers Patton, Buttercup, Morse, and Butch; sister McTabby; cousins Molly, Sam, Ty Ling, and Mozzy. She is surivived by her feline relatives Ambrose, Skylar, Charlie, Saber, and two canine friends Patches and Winston. Lucy's body was cremated and her ashes retained by her family, who will always miss her.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm 

Catherine, I am so sorry. I am sure she was special to you, especially since she was your mother's cat originally. Big huge hugs to you and to your sister.

The best thing anyone ever said to me when my Lady died was something like "a person who can knowingly love so openly an animal they know will live so shortly is the kindest person of all"... I know I did a terrible job of remembering exactly how my friend put it, but it was sweet and really did make me feel better, because I know I loved her so much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
...is the kindest person of all"...

And you are that and more, dear lefty...you are indeed that. Thanks so much for your response. I can remember Lucy at my parents' house. Seems like she was always there. She may have been even older than 20. She really disliked dogs except for one my father called Little Dog. Little Dog was blind but lived to a ripe old age himself. Any other dog Lucy would not tolerate.

Once my parents kept a dog for my brother while he went on vacation. Lucy left. Where she went, nobody knows to this day. Dad scoured the neighborhood, knocked on doors, asked people to be on the lookout for her.

When the dog went home, Lucy came back, none the worse for wear!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 am 

Animals are so awesome!

I think you are pretty dear yourself, cat. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 am 

Dogs are just loyal to a self-defeating fault; they will stay and starve with you. A cat says to hell with this crap and goes and finds greener pastures until the situation rights itself.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote