It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2009 Restoration Project.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:37 pm 

Date: February 2009.
Thinking I needed to get a project going to kill some idle time. Decided to to look at restoring a old tractor. Found one hidden back in a barn, and this what followed me home.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... 25_opt.jpg

Most individuals would look at this and tell me to haul it to the junk heap. But, I had visions of something else. So, after many days, nights working late and having to clean hands, finger nails from the grease that collected from removing all the rusted nuts, bolts, screws, with parts of the tractor scattered all over the big garage, and second guessing my thoughts what in the world was I thinking about taking on a project as this large. Having the engine, transmission, hydraulics rebuilt, and many parts to be discarded due to their beyond repair, it seem it was taking too long. Than this happen...
August 2nd. wife had to have back surgery that required five days in the most expensive hospital in the country, and some $67,480.00 later she came home for 3-1/2 months of recuperating. Due to the fact my project set idle, all due to the project manager had to become the best nurse maid around. During the times at being a nurse maid and restoring the tractor, the tractor parts had to be sand blasted, primed, and painted with three coats of acrylics enamel. During this time, the wife was asking why so many UPS shipments was arriving, and how much was this tractor restoring bit was costing. Not to worry honey, you see I have my own bank account. Although, I didn't think the account would deplete so much.

So, after 3-1/2 months, and a few hundred(s) or more dollars later. and on October 6th, 2009 the restored 8N ...I call her Ruby Ann now, came out of the big garage to show the world what a 1949 Ford 8N tractor looked like when it rolled off the Ford Dearborn, Michigan assemby line in June 1949. Here is Ruby Ann.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... tor025.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... tor019.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... r012-1.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... tor024.jpg

Last edited by King Fisher on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My 2009 Restoration Project.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm 

That is a very nice tractor! Is this your first one, or have you had others? I'm actually old enough to have driven a few of these. :) I've a friend who collects Farmall tractors. Though none of his looks as nice as your tractor.

I don't know you (new here); but I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I've had lower back problems (L4-L5) so I know the pain.

KT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My husband bought a 1949 Ford tractor several years ago from a fellow who restores those types of machines. It works great for the driveway scraping that has to be done after some of our torrential rainstorms. It hauls the bushhog around the place quite well, too. I don't drive it myself as our property is rather hilly, but if I had to, I guess I could! :P

Congrats, King Fisher...and I hope Mrs. King Fisher is getting better from the back surgery. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm 

I hope your wife is feeling much better now KF. Back pain is horrible!

You did a fantastic job on your tractor. It looks like the one the farm next door used when I first moved here. And the farmers that were here at that time still have their Ford along with every other tractor and other farm tools they used through the years, all in top notch condition. They no longer farm but do have all their machinery in large barns on their new property.

It appears many people in this area restore farm tractors, usually ones they used when they were still farming.

Eyes would pop if they saw your tractor. You should feel very good about the job you did. What plans do you have for your tractor now?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 pm 

After restoring the tractor back to it's original factory condition in early October, I had a commitment to do the Neewollah parade October 31st in Independence, Ks. Here is their website on Neewollah... It is a big thing here for Halloween. I also did a Christmas parade in Grove, Ok. That was about 75 miles from home. Two men came up after the parade and wanted to buy the tractor. I still have it.

http://www.neewollah.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 pm 

Beautiful old cars and tractors in that parade.

One neighbor used to restore old cars. He was a bear to be around--he was always afraid someone would touch his car. You practically had to hide behind something in his presence just to keep his scowl away. Are all people who do this work like that?

It doesn't surprise me that people want to buy your tractor. Knowing how much men love these machines, you will continue to get offers. And you did a fantastic job!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid