It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Family of skunks in my back yard
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:53 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

They were pretty oblivious to being watched from 10 feet away as they dug for whatever skunks dig for.

After half a minute, they hustled away. Cute little buggers anyway. I think there were five of them.

Cause for concern? Advice?

"If the people allow private banks to control their currency the banks and corporations will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Family of skunks in my back yard
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL! I don't know, PT, but if you've got a dog you might want to make sure he or she stays away from them!

Have you seen skunks around your place before? Maybe they were just out on a ramble and decided to check out some thing they found attractive in your yard.

:mrgreen:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Just remember that no matter how cute they are, they are still little animals.

Had a family, probably mother and two kittens, (think thats what the babys are called), last year. Twice one of the baby's seen me and charged me. One was at night while I was just out in the yard and another time I was in our apartment,( basement) looking out the window at it. That one was funny, little sob was walking by and must have caught my movment out of the corner of his/her eye, spun and charged my window hissing.

I was really worried that it was going to spray. Not sure at what age they can but it was an interesting moment of panic to say the least.

Something that is funny is that my grandfather used to have wild cats that he took care of. Went out and fed them every night.
Well, there was just not cats there most of the time. Skunks, racoons, and possum would all be waiting. Crazy man would just walk out like nothing and feed em all. They never bothered him.

Just dont mess with them and you should be fine. If you or someone near you has pets or children, you should let them know and possibly call animal control......if you are lucky enough to get them to come out.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:07 am 

I do insurance restoration work, mostly in attics for Raccoon damage to insulation. Advice? Call a professional trapper and have them professionally removed. I have seen entire homes ruined by a single skunk. Insurance will not cover your home for removal of smell if somehow they spray near it or under it. They consider this "contaminants." And most policies specifically will not pay for "contaminants."

Most homeowners are usually not aware of the amount of damage a single skunk can do to a dwelling. One home in Chicago last year got sprayed by a skunk. It was a 550,000 home. The insurance covered the loss. (Rare) They spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to remove the smell, then tens of thousands on paint, then they tried removing the drywall. To no avail. Unfortunately, the peoples homeowners policy limit was reached and they were not able to get rid of the odor which permeated the entire dwelling. The insurance company spent some 550,000 dollars trying to remove the odor, which was also the policy limit. And now they have to live in a 4000 sq ft, 550,000 dollar home that reeks like skunk.

Cost of trapping a skunk on average; 125 dollars to set the trap and 65 dollars to take the animal away.

My suggestion is to call a professional trapper and get rid of it.

Cheers-
Phil :P