It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christianity, bigotry, hatred exposed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 am 

(I know we are discouraged from posting whole articles, but I really had to break that rule here-edit if you need to Cat. I was afraid someone wouldn't follow the link and read the whole thing.)

Constance and the Mississippi fake prom - Christianity, bigotry, hatred exposed

Most Americans are already familiar with the story of one Constance McMillen and the drama forced upon her when she wanted to bring her female date to the High School prom in Itawamba County, Mississippi.

The school canceled the prom altogether, then under pressure, a new dance was set up. Trouble is, there were actually two events at different locations. The "prom" Constance and seven others attended wasn't the "big dance," that was held miles away in an "undisclosed location" that only the "cool" kids apparently knew about. Oh, and parents too. Look at photos from the private prom here.

Deepening the despicable nature of the fake prom of Constance McMillen is the fact that special education students were duped also.

But the joke was on the haters, as everyone at the fake prom had a great time, and an even bigger event is planned in May. Second Chance Prom will be held May 8th at the Bancorp South Arena in Tupelo, MS. The event will last from 5pm until 11pm. There is no cost to attendees.

The big argument used against Constance and her female date has been centered around Christianity and it's stand against homosexuality. How then, do they also explain the ruse against the special ed kids?

Simple - the Bible not only gives them an "excuse" to hate gays, but to demonize, dehumanize, and disenfranchise anyone deemed not "chosen." To them, liberty means the freedom to be like them. Or not so different as to be uncomfortable, mind you.

You can see the biblical idiocy on display on the facebook page Constance quit yer cryin' - if you care to wade through the High School level postings. Although it does seem that lately the page has been hijacked by supporters of Constance.

Hating homosexuals has been a major focus of the religious right in America for years, and although more people than ever are realizing just how steeped in bigotry and hatred Christian fundamentalism is, they continue to act with the righteousness of the misguided faithful.

It's high time we stop allowing religion to be used as a hammer to strike those not of the faith. People need to have rights and freedoms, mythologies don't.

Of course, the drama around Constance and her prom did happen in Mississippi, the state where Morgan Freeman had to pay for an integrated prom in 2008. Many Americans are proud to live in a place where this wouldn't have even been an issue at all. Too much of America isn't there yet.

http://www.examiner.com/x-32249-Portlan ... ed-exposed

If you are interested in reading more about this shit, google "itawamba agricultural school prom" and you will be able to read about the whole thing. This is happening about 60 miles from me.

Post subject: Re: Christianity, bigotry, hatred exposed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the entire article, lefty. Sometimes we have to spread out the entire sheet to see whether or not it will fit the bed! This is one of the most dispicable examples of bigotry and hatred being taught and accepted under the guise of religion I've ever heard of, but in the RED SOUTH it is a way of life. I can see it happening in my area, although at least we've progressed to integrated proms and other school and church social events. I can't say that a gay student here wouldn't have the same problem, though. It's shameful...and makes Southern America look so stupid, especially to other nations. We're so divided...and I don't think we will ever come back together again in my lifetime like we should be doing a decade into the 21st century. :(

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 pm 

I'm in the middle of writing a really long rant for my blog about how bad MS is or has gotten, depending on how I look at it. It upsets me so much that I want to move. But where do you move when jobs are so scarce?

I am deeply ashamed to be a Mississippian.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I am deeply ashamed to be a Mississippian

Ah, hell...don't be ashamed for being a Mississippian, lefty. IF you sat by and accepted everything that is racist and deeply stupid about Mississippi without trying to make a different viewpoint be heard, then you could feel some shame. If you didn't vote for better candidates than that ridiculous governor you have, then you could feel some shame. Your little boy is growing up with a different viewpoint. Your state, like mine, just has an overabundance of people who relish and readily accept medieval modes of thought. I laugh at them, sitting in their lawn chairs so fat they can't walk in the little demonstrations going on around them, waving their Confederate flags but....don't mess with their Medicare!!!!!!! :drunken: :albino: :mrgreen:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman