It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE PRESIDENT'S OIL SPILL SPEECH?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:shock: I watched the president's speech last night and was appalled at what a mediocre attempt it was to put salve on the wounds of those of us who are worried to death about the disaster in the Gulf! The American people who care about what's happened down there because of the cavalier attitude of BP and other BIG OIL companies toward safety and protection for their workers and the fragile environment they're occupying were looking for him to offer up a plan of action...a WORKABLE plan...not rhetoric and nonsensical solutions, such as prayer! We also didn't want another pep talk about what a great nation we are and how we'll weather this disaster like we've done so many times before. I'm not so sure that we will. This is an unprecedented disaster and there's no real solution in sight. Yes, I'm sure the president wants to get that gusher stopped, but last night he indicated, at least to me, that he is still relying on the info BP is relaying to him. We all know most of that is just more lies. What's going on with him? It looks like others felt the same way.....

Here's Jason Linkins at Huffpost:

OBAMA'S OIL SPILL SPEECH: WHAT WAS THE POINT?

President Barack Obama took to the Oval Office to address a nation worried to death over the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a location used so much more often by Saturday Night Live than by actual presidents that my brain actually released a small dollop of dopamine in anticipation of comedic parody. And then, over the next seventeen minutes, nothing much happened to challenge my brain's autonomic preconceptions.

I am really not entirely sure what the point to this Oval Office address was! Were you looking for something that resembled a fully-realized action plan, describing a detailed approach to containment and clean up? Or perhaps a definitive statement, severing the command and control that BP has largely enjoyed, in favor of a structured, centralized federal response? Maybe you were looking for a roadmap-slash-timetable for putting America on a path to a clean energy future? Well, this speech was none of those things.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE PRESIDENT'S OIL SPILL SPEECH?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I visited my brother and his wife last night. One of my sister-in-law's passions is collecting old stuff and antiques, and in that she and I find our one common ground. She had lying on her coffee table a small group of old LIFE magazines. One of them was dated March 21, 1942. I had a good time looking through that old magazine and was struck by all the articles and advertisements that encouraged Americans to save and sacrifice in order to achieve VICTORY in the early days of World War 2. What are the odds of that happening now..for magazine and newspaper publishers and/or television companies to consistently print and broadcast public service advertisements to ask Americans to STOP driving so much, to STOP buying gas guzzlers, to recycle, to do everything humanely possible to work together to wean ourselves from our addiction to fossill fuels for the sake of ourselves and for our planet? The President did not ask us to make any sacrifices in his Oval Office speech Tuesday night. He asked us to PRAY, which tells me he nor anybody else he's listening to has a clue as to how to really stop this national disaster gushing into the GULF every day.

Bob Cesca addresses that kind of thinking in this very interesting commentary. Read it, please...and think about this:

Quote:
The BP oil spill has been a daily reminder of our toxic relationship with decomposed dinosaurs. On just about every blog and every cable news show, we've watched in shock-horror as 75,000,000 gallons of oil spew from the top of the Deepwater Horizon's blowout preventer. We see it. We cringe. Some of us shout, "Why, oh, why?!" Others curse Tony Hayward and BP. Maybe some of us curse President Obama or former President Bush. A clear majority of Americans are pissed off, and they're taking it out on everyone except themselves: the ones actually buying the oil

AMERICANS SIMPLY DO NOT DO SACRIFICE ANYMORE

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Could be that the people in charge not only do not care if we get off oil or not, but are using it to their advantage so that when they institute their master plan, they will be the beneficiaries.

Why have they suppressed more advanced technology? Why did they kill the electric car? Why do they ignore the research being done and implemented in back yards and garages using simple easy to obtain items to create HHO in a safe and effective manner?
Why did they outlaw hemp which we can not only harvest a couple crops a year, but could also be used to replace (with a biodegradable nature) many, many, many of the things which we use today?

Why is it that when we say no, they do it anyways? Why, when we say stop do they keep going? Why, even when they implement something that we want, do they twist it in such a way that it in the end does more damage than if they did nothing?

Change is on its way Cat, and though now you may believe you want the change that is coming, but in the end you will (if we are still around, we could be part of the 90%) will come to understand what the plan has been all along.

Who is going to determine who lives and who dies? They will. Who will determine who gets what? They will. Who will determine who has children and who don't? They will. Who will determine every aspect of life on this planet, what is good and what is bad? They will.

Why are they doing this? Because they understand that they can ask us all they want to make the sacrifices necessary, but it will be to no avail.

My question would be, who gave them the right to be the ones to place judgment upon mankind when they are the one's who have brought most of this about? Who gave them the authority?

We did.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oil response critic concedes Obama's getting it right

Quote:
This ain't rhetoric. This is money. And if money talks, $20 billion screams.

--James Carville

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:40 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

NO HE IS NOT!!!

20 billion is NOTHING!!!!

Lets say for the sake of argument that a monetary value could really be put on this event, it will be in the trillions, period.

Yes, to us 20 billion may seem to be a lot of money but the reality is that this will not be recovered from and can NOT be recovered from. This is nothing but a big chunk of hush up money.

"See.....I am doing something so just shut up." War criminal and corperate b@tch.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.