It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Media Gets It Wrong on WikiLeaks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Media Gets It Wrong on WikiLeaks: It's About Broken Trust, Not Broken Condoms

By Arianna Huffington

When it comes to WikiLeaks, much of media has planted its flag on the wrong side of the secrecy battle -- and so much of the reporting about WikiLeaks has served to obscure and mislead. One method they're using is to conflate the secrecy that governments use to operate and the secrecy that is used to hide the truth and allow governments to mislead us. Nobody, including WikiLeaks, is promoting the idea that government should exist in total transparency. But the government's legitimate need for secrecy is very different from the government's desire to get away with hiding the truth. And conflating the two is dangerously unhealthy for a democracy. That's why it's especially important to look at what WikiLeaks is actually doing, as distinct from what its critics claim it's doing. The establishment media may be part of the media, but they're also part of the establishment. And they're circling the wagons

Read more of Arianna's comments at the link.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: The Media Gets It Wrong on WikiLeaks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:35 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
The Media Gets It Wrong on WikiLeaks: It's About Broken Trust, Not Broken Condoms

By Arianna Huffington

When it comes to WikiLeaks, much of media has planted its flag on the wrong side of the secrecy battle -- and so much of the reporting about WikiLeaks has served to obscure and mislead. One method they're using is to conflate the secrecy that governments use to operate and the secrecy that is used to hide the truth and allow governments to mislead us. Nobody, including WikiLeaks, is promoting the idea that government should exist in total transparency. But the government's legitimate need for secrecy is very different from the government's desire to get away with hiding the truth. And conflating the two is dangerously unhealthy for a democracy. That's why it's especially important to look at what WikiLeaks is actually doing, as distinct from what its critics claim it's doing. The establishment media may be part of the media, but they're also part of the establishment. And they're circling the wagons

Read more of Arianna's comments at the link.

Agreed!! The Huffington Post, as well as Wikileaks, gets a "thumbs up" from me!! There's many reasons why Julian Assange has my respect. One of which, carefully "weeding out," in so many words, people who may be needlessly harmed, as a result of this martyr giving us the truth.

...and I have been reading the Huffington Post, since the days of Bob Lassiter!! (well, kinda!!)

However, I have to put Arianna, somewhat in a class of "the main media establishment," when addressing the issues from Jesse Ventura, regarding the coverup(s) of 911. This may be already mentioned in the 911 section, as I'll "mosey over" there, to see if I can pick up on this. :)

God, I must make myself more mentally organized, as part of a "last second" new year's resolution :)

Mr. Ventura wanted to write for the Huffington Post, but was limited, to the amount of information regarding 9-11, that he could write about.

I feel, as if Jesse's hands were tied, and COMPLETELY, understand why he left the H. Post. After all, Jesse has spent several years in politics, as well as the military. I feel, not so much Jesse was doing the H.Post a favor, by writing for them, (as he has stated) but the H.Post never gave Mr. Ventura, the trust to freely write about, what most "truth seekers of 911" knew anyway!!

...and some, from Ventura himself, mind you!!

I think "setting the standard," should only be implemented, from establishments, who know how to set them. And like the situation with Mr. Assange, Mr. Ventura put no one in harm's way, revealing the lies of 911. Granted, some people at a high level died, as a result of pre-knowledge, regarding 911, but I cannot point the finger at Mr. Ventura directly, for exposing the lies, (and especially) exposing the lies, regarding the pentagon. Most people knew MOST, of this beforehand. (But the 43 minute video, inside the pentegon, was an "ass kicker." YOU GO JESSEE!!)

I, as well as others here and elsewhere, are very familiar with the fact, that the lies regarding 911, are the same lies, regarding the wars in the Middle East.

You simply cannot have one lie, independent of the other!!

I think overall, Arianna is a good person, and is doing a wonderful job. In addition, I think she gets a fair amount of respect, being not only a woman in the media, but as an owner as well. That in itself, has to be tough, and it DOES, take a "true grit person," to pull it off. However, she still spends too much time on MSNBC. (which I'm growing less fond of lately, unfortunately!!) :(

Personally, I have not subscribed to cable/satellite television, for going on 4.5 years now. My respect or trust for the media, grows solely on what I read/watch on the internet. And yes, occasionally what I see at my friends/families house as well.

Too much time with corporate media, means too much time making "strange bedfellows." (imho)

Unfortunately for the Huffington Post, they'll eventually "reap, what they have sown," with Jesee Ventura. Not on wikileaks issues mind you, but simply on the coverups of 911.

Remember, 911 was around a lot longer than Wikileaks. And Jesee has covered 911, better than Wikileaks or the Huffington Post. While the Huffington Post and Wikileaks, has given the American people, every reason NOT, to trust our government, Jesse has used these facts regarding 911, as a "catalyst," for a reason WHY, to question EVERYTHING, about our government. You simply cannot stop at the truth, regarding 911 or anything else, simply because it may be "inconvenient," to your viewers or readers!! If this WAS NOT the case, then Mr. Ventura, simply wouldn't of turned down the offer(s) to write for Arianna.

...he, (imho) had absolutely nothing to loose at this point!!

...and a wonderful chance for me, in gaining an 85-90% trust in her. (Arianna)

...and the increasingly number of people, that are NOW UNDERSTANDING, the ties between the wars in the Middle East, and 911.

But once again, I love Arianna. I just think she underestimated the "in your face" approach of Jesse Ventura. She was aware of it, but greatly underestimated Jesse's loyalty to it!!

I love Jesse Ventura with all my heart!!

(I really do!!) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CHECK OUT THIS FROM DEMOCRACY NOW! I LOVE AMY GOODMAN.

Julian Assange on WikiLeaks, War and Resisting Government Crackdown

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
CHECK OUT THIS FROM DEMOCRACY NOW! I LOVE AMY GOODMAN.

Julian Assange on WikiLeaks, War and Resisting Government Crackdown

Yes, I love Amy (and Wikileaks) too.

I need to start watching Amy more often online. Sometimes, I get sidetracked on other issues, and forget about my historic "grass roots upbringing" sometimes. :|

Amy, (if memory serves me right) was on channel 9415 on Dish Network. It was that channel, (free) and (1) PBS Channel (frontline) at $1.50/month (in Sept. 06) that I subscribed/religiously watched. (exclusively)

Now, how's that for "big time" spending!! :D