It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from "Hoosierland"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Hello everyone!!

Well, after months of reading this forum, I feel like I've found a home. I've been a lifelong Indiana resident, and have seen the rapid decline of the "Democratic Process," here in this state. I, like everyone here I imagine, believes "the untold story," lies in approximately 99.7% of the "spoon fed poison," being distributed by the corporate media today. A "critical thinker" by design, I have seen how our political process has spread fear, in one's opposing view(point). While I've never been a friend to corporate media, I'm old enough to remember, the days of "the average dissenter," where one could either "speak their piece" on local radio, or have their face be shown on local T.V. for 30 seconds, expressing "Major Dissent," toward their elected officials. Over the last several years, I have also witnessed an alarming surge of television programs, featuring judges, police officers, prisoners and people in general, with the latter, being the object of "Big Brother's Discourse." In addition, a major decline in our elected officials, publicly addressing the taxpayer's needs. Marginalizing the American "sheeple," by our corporate media, is no different, from the Hitler days. For this reason and others, I no longer own a television, as my last Dish Network bill, was paid back in September of 2006. The $70.00 a month raise, was a good decision on my part.. (imho)

I am currently employed in the manufacturing sector, that is primarily associated with the home decor/ housing industry. I've seen the financial toll it has taken on me, as well as other people in this field.

During my early years here, I attended a private Catholic school. So being submitted to "conservatism," has been no stranger to me. At least it was before the "Pre Dress Code" days!! :)

Looking forward to reading/discussing issues with everyone else here. I try to stick with my "core belief," of not being easily offended. I fully understand the "knee jerk" reaction, that today's society is under, so getting an honest answer "for the long term," can actually be more difficult, than "short term anger" at times.

See ya around the corner!!

Greg

Post subject: Re: Greetings from "Hoosierland"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WELCOME TO THE BOARD, GREG! THANKS SO MUCH FOR REGISTERING FROM HOOSIERLAND! :D

I am happy to tell you that you will find some kindred spirits here, but you probably already know that if you've been "lurking" for awhile. :wink: We're a small board that used to be much more active than we are right now, but we pride ourselves on the quality of the site itself. We don't tolerate the extreme right wing trolls who show up from time to time with their flame throwers, especially after we've tried to engage them in civil discourse. I don't think they know the meaning of the term! :lol: We started the Steel Cage forum so we could have some real "in your face" types of discussions with them, but they didn't like it and took their toys and went home. There's also lots of competition for people's online time now, much more than when the site was founded in 2004. Due to that, the active members have become a sort of "family" here at TVNL. I hope you will stay around long enough to feel that way, too.

If you've gone to the main page, you've probably seen some of the stories and the editorials posted by our founder, Jesse Richard. He tends to keep himself to that part of the site, but now and then he shows up here and we always enjoy his input. I just manage the forum part of the site.

There are lots of different forums which are designed to give a member a chance to discuss things other than politics, and at the end of the day, we like to part as friends, even if we've had a disagreement.

So, once again, welcome aboard and I hope to have some good discussions with you as time goes by. If you have any questions about anything regarding the functioning of the site, let me know and I'll see if I can find the answer.

:hello2:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Thank you Catherine for the kind words/greetings. Yes, I too, have had my share of the "right winged circus," over the past few years. This has become more of the "norm," than the "exception," in the "Hoosier State" lately. Thanks again, for the warm greetings!! :)

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm 

Welcome Greg—

I find it sad that you say that a Catholic school introduced you to conservatism. I went through 12 years of Catholic school from 1960 to 1972, leaving a confirmed and proud liberal. We always had either a uniform or dress code. Those were the heady days of JFK where being liberal was not yet a bad word. Enjoy the board.

APL

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder what JFK and his brother Robert would say in response to the teabaggers and their republican cohorts...as Angel of Mercy said in another forum, "it's going to be a looooong couple of years."

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:47 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

A Proud Liberal wrote:
Welcome Greg—

I find it sad that you say that a Catholic school introduced you to conservatism. I went through 12 years of Catholic school from 1960 to 1972, leaving a confirmed and proud liberal. We always had either a uniform or dress code. Those were the heady days of JFK where being liberal was not yet a bad word. Enjoy the board.

APL

Ha!! Just came back here for a second. I think what made it different for us here, is the total lack of any progressive policies here in Indiana. Our last vote for a democratic president, (other than O'bama, if you want to call him one) was Johnson. Kennedy was well loved by many here, but so was Nixon. I think Lugar, has been our Senator here now, for 133.5 years, and several others, not far behind him, simply playing "musical political chairs," throughout different levels of our government here as well.

My entrance into the Catholic Schools, started just a few years later after your's. However, most conservatism from the grade and high school levels, came from political manipulation, more than anything else. One which I hated, was the forced attendance of mass everyday, but from the same "centralized church," as most all of our local politicians went to. We were never introduced to the dress code. (thank God) However, it started just 4-5 years, after I graduated from high school. But Jesus coming over the intercom, in the form of daily scripture from our Principal, not only for the first, but the last order of the day, was a setback to the freedom we had, to (within reason) dress the way we wanted to.

Abortion, as you well know, is a heated subject. Our Catholic school caught hell, my senior year back in 1976, for showing an actual abortion video. And yes, it was discusting, and all but a few, ended up watching the whole video. (remember movie projectors?..probably a good thing back then...limited definition) :shock: :? :shock:

However, even though I despise the fact, that there are alternate approaches, other than abortion, such as education, that were not clearly addressed at the time, I felt as if the school had a right to show it. This was in my opinion, the only part of any "liberalism" we ever had there. It went against the grain, of our typical "daily religious scriptures," and duldrim trips to our political place of worship as well. The "abortion is murder bullshit," is fine and dandy, but showing an actual movie of one well, let's just say, goes a bit too far. Let's just leave the gory shit out of it, shall we? And to think that ANY POLITICIAN, could successfully run on a "no holes barred abortion policy" well, let's just say...NEVER HAPPEN, NEVER WILL!!

But presenting both sides of the issue, is what a progressive does but...

The shit hit the fan regarding this, AND ONLY FROM A FEW PARENTS MIND YOU!! Most never complained, except for "less than a handful" of parents. Mostly in politics!! (and conservative politics as well)

Wanna know who presented the "alternative to abortion/education side of the issue?"

YEP!!

...a progressive democrat!!

I know, I went to school with her son there, as well as the Catholic grade school we attended. We also spent a couple weekends, over at each of our parents house as well, when we were growing up together.

But in addition, she preached family planning as well. Some parents made their presence known, regarding alternate methods of preventing pregnancies. Some wanted just the religious dangers of abortion, and not the "doom and gloom" side of the abortion issue. But as for educational or family planning? Well, bite your tongue!! This involved using the 9 lbs. of matter, between your ears!! After all, this has to control other areas of the body, that well, let's just say sometimes, never "bathes in the sunshine" of any kind of educational stimulating whatsoever!! (how sad, but use to be there myself) :roll: :roll: :roll:

As stated before, "shit hit our local fan," when just a few of our crazy right winged religious wingnut politicians, bitched about the "educational alternative to abortion" issue. One, was our mayor for 25 years. AND HE WAS A FRICKEN' DEMOCRAT!! (our only exception to our right winged rule here)

..but was he? HELL NO, HE WAS A CONSERVATIVE!! And threw money away, like one too!!

And yes, he attended the same "Church of Catholic Brainwashing, " as I did growing up. He also, had a huge family, and pretty much all of them, including himself, stayed "under the radar," until this shit happened, and a few other issues as well!!

She definitely, was my favorite "religion teacher," my senior year. Not only was she an excellent parent, but an avid lover of humanity as well. She, and her late husband, owned a local airport here, since God was a running back with my great grandfather. Me and my friend, use to go up with his dad, in his "twin engine commanche" about a half dozen times or so. He also took a lot of other kids up as well.

She simply added the "alternative approach to abortion," which our Catholic school STARTED, to come around on, just a "wee" bit. (it WAS, the first time mind you!!)

So in essence, you are right, regarding the left wing side of it. Yes, the word itself, "democrat," was accepted far better then, than it is now. As for us democrats, we all walked away, doing our own thing. However, the "progressive backbone or engine" driving these "democratic values," were well hated back then, and are equally hated (and more so) here today. It was just so sad, that even though my "Catholic Schooling of the Seventies," we had these "right winged creeps," back then, dictating political policy, WITH A PRIVATE SCHOOL!! After all, if most parents back then, didn't like it, they could of saved enough money, to send their kids to Purdue...

WHILE OWNING MACKEY ARENA/ROSS ADE STADIUM IN THE PROCESS!!

I hated our mayor back then ever since!! And most of his nice family, went on to be real pricks as well. I know, and as mentioned before, went to the same Catholic school, as a lot of them did. But a lot of it, was political pressure. I vaguely, know the last three mayors we've had. We use to live next door to another one's brother for years, as my sister use to work for the police department, for many years as well. (hence, our current Mayor, use to pick up my sister, when the weather was bad)

Two quick closing remarks..

As much as I hated that "doom and gloom" approach to abortion, personally believing, that only the woman's hands, her doctor's or her partners, should be introduced to her privates, (and not God's or our politicians) I still ponder the fact, that if we had a responsible media, that would show 'the real shit," as that video did 35 years ago, how much better this country would be today. But hey, 3/5 on the "privates," ain't too bad now, is it?

Shit, 3/6...I forgot airport screeners!!

NEVER MIND!!

WOW!!... Creating "mature issues" from that point forward, instead of this "childish crap," running around in Congress today. As we all know, freedom of speech, does not mean, NOT presenting all sides of an issue, just because one finds it "distasteful." (or simply doesn't agree with it, in the first place)

...and the other?

My favorite religion teacher!!

She ran for city council here several times. Her political career, never saw the light of day!!

...those were the days in the 70's when the Pat, (I hate queers) Robertsons, and the Jerry (I hate everyone, but our military Jesus) Falwells, started to raise their ugly head. And from that point forward, the "serpant has been rising."

To this day, I laugh my ass off, on the "666" bullshit," coming from our brainwashed "religious telletubbies and politicians."

"666" to me, always equaled "18." (which always stood for "legal," or an "adult")

Try telling this, to a " Republican Pedophile." :roll: :shock: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

expiretheliars wrote:
A Proud Liberal wrote:
Welcome Greg—

APL

Ha!! Just came back here for a second. I think what made it different for us here, is the total lack of any progressive policies here in Indiana. Our last vote for a democratic president, (other than O'bama, if you want to call him one) was Johnson. Kennedy was well loved by many here, but so was Nixon. I think Lugar, has been our Senator here now, for 133.5 years, and several others, not far behind him, simply playing "musical political chairs," throughout different levels of our government here as well.

My entrance into the Catholic Schools, started just a few years later after your's. However, most conservatism from the grade and high school levels, came from political manipulation, more than anything else. One which I hated, was the forced attendance of mass everyday, but from the same "centralized church," as most all of our local politicians went to. We were never introduced to the dress code. (thank God) However, it started just 4-5 years, after I graduated from high school. But Jesus coming over the intercom, in the form of daily scripture from our Principal, not only for the first, but the last order of the day, was a setback to the freedom we had, to (within reason) dress the way we wanted to.

Abortion, as you well know, is a heated subject. Our Catholic school caught hell, my senior year back in 1976, for showing an actual abortion video. And yes, it was discusting, and all but a few, ended up watching the whole video. (remember movie projectors?..probably a good thing back then...limited definition) :shock: :? :shock:

However, even though I despise the fact, that there are alternate approaches, other than abortion, such as education, that were not clearly addressed at the time, I felt as if the school had a right to show it. This was in my opinion, the only part of any "liberalism" we ever had there. It went against the grain, of our typical "daily religious scriptures," and duldrim trips to our political place of worship as well. The "abortion is murder bullshit," is fine and dandy, but showing an actual movie of one well, let's just say, goes a bit too far. Let's just leave the gory shit out of it, shall we? And to think that ANY POLITICIAN, could successfully run on a "no holes barred abortion policy" well, let's just say...NEVER HAPPEN, NEVER WILL!!

But presenting both sides of the issue, is what a progressive does but...

The shit hit the fan regarding this, AND ONLY FROM A FEW PARENTS MIND YOU!! Most never complained, except for "less than a handful" of parents. Mostly in politics!! (and conservative politics as well)

Wanna know who presented the "alternative to abortion/education side of the issue?"

YEP!!

...a progressive democrat!!

I know, I went to school with her son there, as well as the Catholic grade school we attended. We also spent a couple weekends, over at each of our parents house as well, when we were growing up together.

But in addition, she preached family planning as well. Some parents made their presence known, regarding alternate methods of preventing pregnancies. Some wanted just the religious dangers of abortion, and not the "doom and gloom" side of the abortion issue. But as for educational or family planning? Well, bite your tongue!! This involved using the 9 lbs. of matter, between your ears!! After all, this has to control other areas of the body, that well, let's just say sometimes, never "bathes in the sunshine" of any kind of educational stimulating whatsoever!! (how sad, but use to be there myself) :roll: :roll: :roll:

As stated before, "shit hit our local fan," when just a few of our crazy right winged religious wingnut politicians, bitched about the "educational alternative to abortion" issue. One, was our mayor for 25 years. AND HE WAS A FRICKEN' DEMOCRAT!! (our only exception to our right winged rule here)

..but was he? HELL NO, HE WAS A CONSERVATIVE!! And threw money away, like one too!!

And yes, he attended the same "Church of Catholic Brainwashing, " as I did growing up. He also, had a huge family, and pretty much all of them, including himself, stayed "under the radar," until this shit happened, and a few other issues as well!!

She definitely, was my favorite "religion teacher," my senior year. Not only was she an excellent parent, but an avid lover of humanity as well. She, and her late husband, owned a local airport here, since God was a running back with my great grandfather. Me and my friend, use to go up with his dad, in his "twin engine commanche" about a half dozen times or so. He also took a lot of other kids up as well.

She simply added the "alternative approach to abortion," which our Catholic school STARTED, to come around on, just a "wee" bit. (it WAS, the first time mind you!!)

So in essence, you are right, regarding the left wing side of it. Yes, the word itself, "democrat," was accepted far better then, than it is now. As for us democrats, we all walked away, doing our own thing. However, the "progressive backbone or engine" driving these "democratic values," were well hated back then, and are equally hated (and more so) here today. It was just so sad, that even though my "Catholic Schooling of the Seventies," we had these "right winged creeps," back then, dictating political policy, WITH A PRIVATE SCHOOL!! After all, if most parents back then, didn't like it, they could of saved enough money, to send their kids to Purdue...

WHILE OWNING MACKEY ARENA/ROSS ADE STADIUM IN THE PROCESS!!

I hated our mayor back then ever since!! And most of his nice family, went on to be real pricks as well. I know, and as mentioned before, went to the same Catholic school, as a lot of them did. But a lot of it, was political pressure. I vaguely, know the last three mayors we've had. We use to live next door to another one's brother for years, as my sister use to work for the police department, for many years as well. (hence, our current Mayor, use to pick up my sister, when the weather was bad)

Two quick closing remarks..

As much as I hated that "doom and gloom" approach to abortion, personally believing, that only the woman's hands, her doctor's or her partners, should be introduced to her privates, (and not God's or our politicians) I still ponder the fact, that if we had a responsible media, that would show 'the real shit," as that video did 35 years ago, how much better this country would be today. But hey, 3/5 on the "privates," ain't too bad now, is it?

Shit, 3/6...I forgot airport screeners!!

NEVER MIND!!

WOW!!... Creating "mature issues" from that point forward, instead of this "childish crap," running around in Congress today. As we all know, freedom of speech, does not mean, NOT presenting all sides of an issue, just because one finds it "distasteful." (or simply doesn't agree with it, in the first place)

...and the other?

My favorite religion teacher!!

She ran for city council here several times. Her political career, never saw the light of day!!

...those were the days in the 70's when the Pat, (I hate queers) Robertsons, and the Jerry (I hate everyone, but our military Jesus) Falwells, started to raise their ugly head. And from that point forward, the "serpant has been rising."

To this day, I laugh my ass off, on the "666" bullshit," coming from our brainwashed "religious telletubbies and politicians."

"666" to me, always equaled "18." (which always stood for "legal," or an "adult")

Try telling this, to a " Republican Pedophile." :roll: :shock: :evil: :evil:

***And yes, I'm responding to my own post again***

I cannot forget, the great guy I ran around with as a kid, who is now, one step away, from being the "firefighter chief."

Remember, "Doc Holliday's Kid?" (the place where J.F.K. went to, as in my opening "hello" here?)

He ran for political office here as well.

(never saw the light of day either!!) :roll: :cry: :cry: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:

Yep...the 666 bullshit..I remember it well! I have many fond memories of students I encountered during my teaching career, from which I retired...twice.

But a memory that really stands out is one that involves 666...I was teaching math one morning and the students and I (I taught third grade) had begun to go over the students' homework assignment from the day before. I had asked one student to tell me what answer she had gotten for a problem that added up to a total of 666...this student squirmed in her seat and finally said, "Well, Mrs......, my daddy told me I couldn't put that answer down because it was the mark of the devil." Needless to say, I was perplexed but I didn't linger with the student because she was obviously so embarrassed. Being the progressive teacher that I was, I told her that I appreciated her honesty in telling me why she did not have that particular answer, and moved on quickly to another student, who gave the correct reply. The class had become very quiet and some of the other students were puzzled as well as amused, but the quick movement onwards stopped the smirking.

Now, this student did admittedly come from an incredibly ignorant family. She herself was somewhat intellectually challenged, although she tried hard and had managed to bring up her grades significantly in math, her favorite subject. She liked me and I liked her, and I really felt sorry for her to have to always be exposed to that silly way of thinking...the father was a real piece of work, let me tell you. I explained to her, privately, that the answer to that particular problem was not an evil thing, and that numbers were numbers, and that learning about them was enjoyable, as she already knew since math was her favorite subject. She agreed and said that she'd tried to explain that to her father, but that he would not listen. I later made her an appointment with the school counselor and we did not have anymore encounters with the 666 issue, at least in my room...still, it's a sad story...

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman