It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAT Scan Shockeroo!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have any of you had a CAT scan lately? A friend had one last week at our local hospital as part of a pre- surgical exam to determine whether or not he needed surgery to repair a hernia. He and his wife got the bill on Monday. Charge for the CAT scan: $2100.00!!!!! :shock:

The total bill, which included an ER charge and all the stuff that goes along with that, came to almost $5,000!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: CAT Scan Shockeroo!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I thought of getting the bills for my wife when the Dr's screwed up. It was shocking what they charged for something that was their fault to begin with.

I was seriously tempted to move someplace that had a witchdoctor that I could pay with a chicken. Would have been just about as effective.

Anyways, I hope that all turns out well for your friend!!

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
thought of getting the bills for my wife when the Dr's screwed up. It was shocking what they charged for something that was their fault to begin with.

Amazing...I figured they would have had to suck up those bills

How is your wife doing, CE? Our friends are just waiting until the charges are filed with their insurance and then they'll know how much of the total bill they will be responsible for. I know it will be at least 20%, if not more. As I said, shockeroo... :shock:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:
thought of getting the bills for my wife when the Dr's screwed up. It was shocking what they charged for something that was their fault to begin with.

Amazing...I figured they would have had to suck up those bills

How is your wife doing, CE? Our friends are just waiting until the charges are filed with their insurance and then they'll know how much of the total bill they will be responsible for. I know it will be at least 20%, if not more. As I said, shockeroo... :shock:

All things considered, she could be worse. She cant sit long, cant stand long, is in pain most of the time and if she pushes it her leg that was paralyzed gets weak on her, BUT, at least she can get around somewhat.

I think that the worst part is how it effected her mentally. She used to be so vibrant and active and now she just cant and she gets frustrated and (as she puts it) tired. Still...could have been worse.

I do hold a bit of fear in regards to what will happen to her in the future. I have this fear that eventually she will be back in a wheelchair but for now I guess I cant worry about that. Have to live in the present and we will deal with the future as it unfolds.

No matter what, she is my soul mate. I'm not going anywhere. Lol, at least I think she know that now:).

Tell your friend to pay with chickens!!!!!! Lol:)

Yeah, the whole system is screwed up. Hopefully your friend will be able to pay off everything without loosing anything.

Dave.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 am 

All of this is why Iā€™m thankful my Medicare coverage is with a HMO. When I had my stroke awhile back, my entire hospital stay was $50 out of pocket. I too had a CAT scan while in the ER because they had to determine whether the stroke was due to a blockage or a bleed. The treatments are radically different for each cause. I had a blockage stroke and aspirin gave me almost instantaneous relief. Later during my stay, I underwent a MRI, which was billed to the insurance company at some $6500. My entire stay came to over $18,000.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought I'd update you all on this situation...actually, it couldn't have turned out better.

Our friend had gone to our local hospital, which is a "Blue Cross Blue Shield Hospital.". Apparently, patients who are covered via Blue Cross at this hospital have significantly reduced medical charges. Our friend was covered by the Blue Cross/Blue Shield "Blue Advantage" program. His final, out of pocket bill, which he received last week, was a whopping $135.00!
:shock: :D

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman