It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vitter, Rand Paul Propose Amendment To Pare Back Birthright
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uh...I thought the Tea Partiers wanted the Constitution to be considered a sacred document... :wink:

Vitter, Rand Paul Propose Amendment To Pare Back Birthright Citizenship

Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) and freshman Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) have now teamed up -- and they're aiming very high. The two have proposed a constitutional amendment, to get rid of birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

From their joint press release, their proposal will declare "a person born in the United States to illegal aliens does not automatically gain citizenship unless at least one parent is a legal citizen, legal immigrant, active member of the Armed Forces or a naturalized legal citizen."

I sought clarification from Vitter's office as to whether this would be a full-fledged amendment to the Constitution, or a lesser legislative route. It is indeed a proposed amendment to the Constitution.

More at the link

COMMENT AT THE LINK:
:alien:
Teabagger #1 We want our government to stick to the Constitution!

Teabager #2 I support Rand Paul and David Vitter's Amendment!

Teabagger #3 I want a Constitutional Amendment against abortion!

Teabagger #4 We are strict Constitutionalists, Congress needs to obey the Constitution the way it was written!

Teabagger #5 I want a Constitutional Amendment to forbid Gay Marriage!

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Vitter, Rand Paul Propose Amendment To Pare Back Birthri
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

FWIW, what they are proposing is the correct process. To just pass laws that are in opposition to the Constitution is illegal.

The remedy is to amend the constitution. The constitution is considered a living document which is supposed to give it room to evolve.

Quote:
The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval. The original document is forwarded directly to NARA's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) for processing and publication. The OFR adds legislative history notes to the joint resolution and publishes it in slip law format. The OFR also assembles an information package for the States which includes formal "red-line" copies of the joint resolution, copies of the joint resolution in slip law format, and the statutory procedure for ratification under 1 U.S.C. 106b.

The Archivist submits the proposed amendment to the States for their consideration by sending a letter of notification to each Governor along with the informational material prepared by the OFR. The Governors then formally submit the amendment to their State legislatures. In the past, some State legislatures have not waited to receive official notice before taking action on a proposed amendment. When a State ratifies a proposed amendment, it sends the Archivist an original or certified copy of the State action, which is immediately conveyed to the Director of the Federal Register. The OFR examines ratification documents for facial legal sufficiency and an authenticating signature. If the documents are found to be in good order, the Director acknowledges receipt and maintains custody of them. The OFR retains these documents until an amendment is adopted or fails, and then transfers the records to the National Archives for preservation.

A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States). When the OFR verifies that it has received the required number of authenticated ratification documents, it drafts a formal proclamation for the Archivist to certify that the amendment is valid and has become part of the Constitution. This certification is published in the Federal Register and U.S. Statutes at Large and serves as official notice to the Congress and to the Nation that the amendment process has been completed.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/

I am not writing this in support of the TeaBaggers, nor do I think that it will pass because of the stipulations required to actually get an amendment into law. I am just pointing out that this IS the correct process and respects the laws written within the Constitution itself.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally, CE, I don't think illegal immigrants' children should be automatic citizens of our country, with emphasis put on the word ILLEGAL. Illegal is just that...illegal.

However, these two men who are talking about changing the Constitution don't seem to realize that it takes a hell of a lot of effort to successfully amend it, as you pointed out. More likely, they're just paying lip service to a "cause" they see as bringing them some political points. It won't succeed, but they don't care about that. It will give them something to talk about and to point out how hard they worked to fix this problem but that the liberals prevented them from getting it done, etc, etc.... :roll:

Would their one area in which I find agreement make me support them? No. But to those less knowledgable of the Constitution, it will be a war cry and those people will contribute money to fundraising efforts on behalf of these two strange people calling themselves Senators, which is probably their actual goal, anyway.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Personally, CE, I don't think illegal immigrants' children should be automatic citizens of our country, with emphasis put on the word ILLEGAL. Illegal is just that...illegal.

However, these two men who are talking about changing the Constitution don't seem to realize that it takes a hell of a lot of effort to successfully amend it, as you pointed out. More likely, they're just paying lip service to a "cause" they see as bringing them some political points. It won't succeed, but they don't care about that. It will give them something to talk about and to point out how hard they worked to fix this problem but that the liberals prevented them from getting it done, etc, etc.... :roll:

Would their one area in which I find agreement make me support them? No. But to those less knowledgable of the Constitution, it will be a war cry and those people will contribute money to fundraising efforts on behalf of these two strange people calling themselves Senators, which is probably their actual goal, anyway.

Very true.

Some things I am thinking.

They very well may know, as a matter of fact I would find it to be unlikely that they do not realize just how hard it is to amend the constitution.

They may very well just be paying lip service, or it could be something that they really believe in and want to bring it to the forefront.

Regardless of the reason behind it, it will strengthen their standings with certain people of society. Though I do feel that it will hurt the Democratic party more, I also believe that it will take away members from the Republicans. They very well may grow in power. Judging from some of the backers, I see this as being dangerous in the extreme because of infiltration.

I have been on this site to varying degrees for quite some time. If you have figured out anything about me, I hope that it is the realization that other then a small handful, I do not support any of these lying sociopathic puppets who serve the global aristocrats.

I cannot bring myself to support anyone or anything as a whole because of party or philosophy or beliefs. They themselves are irrelevant, just as anything they say is irrelevant. What is relevant is their actions/cause/effect.

In other words, if they have an idea that they wish to put in action, I have no choice but to judge strictly the idea. This does not mean that I support the party or the person themselves. If anything the opposite is true. I have so little trust of them that if they were to tell me that the sky was blue I would have to verify and re verify. I do not trust them and I know they are working on a bigger agenda.

But this idea I support. It only makes sense and is nothing but a solid clarification as to what is acceptable. It is absurd to consider a child born on this soil be be a US citizen just because their parents/parent set foot upon this soil illegally. It makes no sense.

So, I support the idea, BUT, in the scheme of things, I find it to be nothing more than a focus on something that is little more than a distraction. A focus on a publicly hot topic issue that will raise emotional reaction within the citizenship while ignoring the issues that could make a meaningful difference not only in this country but in the world at large.

This seems to be a game that all politicians play very well. A divide and conquer tactic that is massive in its scope and the people in this country fall for it lock stock and barrel believing the lies and focusing on the distractions while the true global agenda continues to move forward. Nothing of importance ever changes while the puppets are in power, though change may come from the bottom up once the people have had enough. Unfortunately this is never pretty but in order for something new, the old has to die. I have no hope for this generation. We are witnessing the death of the American Empire. It has to happen.

But, back on topic. I agree with the idea and I also recognize that it is most likely nothing more that a political stunt to gain power. It is nothing but a game to keep us distracted and keep us fighting amongst ourselves.

Change is coming and it may very well be the Teabaggers gaining power that is the final catalyst, or it may be the Democrats finally stepping over the line, or the Republicans finally showing just how repressive they really are. In the end, I hope that it is a recognition that our leaders are not our leaders, they are our servants and not the servants of the global oligarchs who now control everything.

Keep supporting who you support if you choose. In the end the results will be the same. Chaos. What everyone has to come to understand is that we can not FORCE our will upon another through anything other than enslavement. The more we attempt to FORCE our views upon others, this creates friction and it is inevitable that over time this friction will create enough heat to create a fire. Right now we are close to this. Like a tinderbox.

Perhaps after the fire we will emerge as a new and enlightened humanity....at least till the dark forces of greed re establish their dominance.

Always the same cycle. Will we never learn?

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

See, now this is interesting.

From, http://www.wpri.org/WIInterest/Vol19No2/Schneider19.2p2.html

Quote:
One day as a 16 year old, Ryan came upon the lifeless body of his father. Paul Ryan, Sr. had died of a heart attack at age 55, leaving the Janesville Craig High School 10th grader, his three older brothers and sisters and his mother alone. It was Paul who told the family of his father’s death.

With his father’s passing, young Paul collected Social Security benefits until age 18, which he put away for college. To make ends meet, Paul’s mother returned to school to study interior design. His siblings were off at college. Ryan remembers this difficult time bringing him and his mother closer.

Within months, Paul’s maternal grandmother moved into the house. She suffered from Alzheimer’s, and it often fell on young Paul to care for her, including brushing and braiding her hair. Ryan credits his father’s death and the care of his grandmother as giving him first-hand experience as to how social service programs work.

So, his family in their time of need of SSI. I have not done much research on this guy because....well...honestly, I just dont give a shit. He is a politician. So, what is his stance on SSI when he has experienced the benefits of it himself?

Quote:
Unrestrained health care spending, he warns, will “kill our economy – it crashes the system.” So the choice, he says, is either “the Obama method of rationing care down, or doing a...consumer-directed system.”

Wrong. Though there does need to be true healthcare reform, not the crap that was given us, it is NOT healthcare that will kill our economy.

What HAS killed our economy is Endless Wars, Outsourcing of our jobs to slave labor nations, Fiat Currency and the practices of the Federal Reserve and the reality that there is no such thing as money of value anymore. They just type numbers up in a computer. Its all bullshit.

Quote:
Neither Ryan nor his staff has prepared any talking points, but Ryan dazzles the financiers with honeyed pentameter about capitalism and free markets. After the speech, we dart back to the car. I ask Ryan how it is he can be “on” 24 hours a day? (When I meet new people, I usually want to take my shoe off and start hitting them with it.) He shrugs and says, “I don’t really have any alternative.”

If his financiers like it then we know it bodes ill.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:14 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Uh...I thought the Tea Partiers wanted the Constitution to be considered a sacred document... :wink:

Vitter, Rand Paul Propose Amendment To Pare Back Birthright Citizenship

Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) and freshman Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) have now teamed up -- and they're aiming very high. The two have proposed a constitutional amendment, to get rid of birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

From their joint press release, their proposal will declare "a person born in the United States to illegal aliens does not automatically gain citizenship unless at least one parent is a legal citizen, legal immigrant, active member of the Armed Forces or a naturalized legal citizen."

I sought clarification from Vitter's office as to whether this would be a full-fledged amendment to the Constitution, or a lesser legislative route. It is indeed a proposed amendment to the Constitution.

More at the link

COMMENT AT THE LINK:
:alien:
Teabagger #1 We want our government to stick to the Constitution!

Teabager #2 I support Rand Paul and David Vitter's Amendment!

Teabagger #3 I want a Constitutional Amendment against abortion!

Teabagger #4 We are strict Constitutionalists, Congress needs to obey the Constitution the way it was written!

Teabagger #5 I want a Constitutional Amendment to forbid Gay Marriage!

Ah yes, their own personalized amendments.

How bout' a constitutional amendment, allowing teabaggers to stop marginalizing the american people.

How bout' a constitutional amendment, allowing these asswipes to carry a basketball, neatly tucked under their shirt for nine months. How bout a constitutional amendment, allowing the religious right, the freedom to be ridiculed, by the same pricks who voted for this asinine abortion bill. Then, and just like the child molesters, post their ass on the internet, saying how much Jesus hates them. How bout' a constitutional amendment, allowing these deuschbags to pay this HUGE hospital bill, for protecting their little "Jesus Gems."

And finally, how bout' a constitutional amendment, allowing the Federal Government, to place a set of "crosshairs," on the back of a tee-shirt, with a picture of the teabagger. This would be followed, by a picture of their family on the front, with crosshairs as well, stating "domestic enemy," in big "blood red" lettering.

Seems to me, that my amendment proposal, would bring the american people closer together, as opposed to tearing them apart.