It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooray for my state senator!
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I get the e-newsletters from my state senator, John Snow, a Democrat. This afternoon, he sent some good news:

Quote:
Susie’s Law

Last summer, a pit bull-shepherd mix puppy was severely beaten, set on fire, and left for dead in a Greensboro park. The person who abused the dog was sentenced to probation, the most allowed under current state law. Susie’s Law changes the crime from a Class I felony to a Class H felony, which could carry a 10 month prison sentence.

Because of the way the rules are established in the House and Senate, the likelihood a new bill to stiffen the penalties for animal abuse could be introduced and passed during the short session is very slim. That is why I’ve offered up my bill, Senate Bill 254, which has already passed the Senate, to be the vehicle to get Susie’s Law enacted this year. Senate Bill 254 passed the House unanimously and will return to the Senate for a concurrence vote.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Hooray for my state senator!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:D :D :D

Gov. Bev Perdue Signed Susie’s Law

On Wednesday, Gov. Bev Perdue (NC) signed Senate Bill 254, now known as “Susie’s Law,” at the executive mansion. This bill increases the penalty for the abuse, torture or killing of an animal. Susie was in attendance at the event and placed her paw on an inkpad to add her mark to the bill.

:bounce: :bounce:

The picture shows Susie placing her paw on the bill. The scars on her back look horrific, but she's fine now and won't ever be abused again.

If you click on this link: http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsIte ... yList.aspx you can see the photo of the signing and of Susie. It's the first thumbnail.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Brings back bad memorys.

I think that I was about 22 years old at the time. I can still remember my sister calling hysterical....so hysterical I could not even understand her. My mother grabbed the phone away from her and told me she would call me back. (We dont live in the same state or I would have been there.)

My mother called back about a half hour later and told me what happened.

My sister and her boyfriend at the time were fighting. He must have gone over to my parents house to argue with her some more, but no one was home. He entered into the house, grabbed my mothers miniature toy terrier, and threw that poor dog down into the basement as hard as he could, litteraly splattering it. When they came home, they could not find the dog upstairs, (she never went downstairs, she was really to small), they looked downstairs and saw the crushed body and blood splattered everywhere.

They also suspect, but can not prove that he killed other animals that they had. Another mini toy terrier that was found on the outskirts of town, (about 2 miles away) in a ditch. They suspect he threw that one out the car window. Also two cats that mysteriously disapeared.

Anyway, for the one that he finally addmited to, he got 6 months probation and no fine.

He has no idea how lucky he is that I lived in another state, especially when I was that age.

I'm glad they passed that law in your state. IMHO, it should be a mandatory minimum of at least 2 years with a max of 10 depending on just how bad it was. Honestly, I would suggest more than that, but I am trying to be rational.

Dave

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope your sister kicked that sub-human's ass so far he's still trying to find it, CE. Or better yet, I hope he's dead...and that his dying wasn't an easy death, either.

I agree that Susie's Law is good, and that it doesn't go far enough. But it's a start, and in my southern red state, it's a big start. I hope that someday the the time will come in our nation when it will be just as much a crime to abuse an animal as it is to abuse a human, regardless of age. As Gandhi said, and I am paraphrasing, you can always judge a nation's people by how they treat their animals. It doesn't speak very well of lots of Americans, does it?

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am 
Hear Me Roar!

WOW!!!

What a bummer and yes, sounds like Suzie's Law is the way to go. I was a meter reader years ago and naturally, I was regularly involved in aggressives animals. (mainly dogs of course) I found out through the months of reading meters, that a lot of the dog's personality, matched their owners. Type A personality (aggressive) Type B (laid back) etc.

However, I also observed, that most type B owners with their dogs, had a tendency to either restrain their animals on a leash, or were kept well away from the highway, AND OBEYED THEIR OWNERS COMMAND!! Granted, you had the friendly St. Bernard, that wanted to lick you to death, all over the place. However, restraint was CLEARLY RECOGNIZED MORE, in type B owners, as opposed to type A.

Which leaves me to a case where I warned one of my customers about their (mean as hell) little snowzer. He didn't heed my warning, and got fined, after his dog grazed me. I carried pepper spray with me, but it was windy, and I couldn't use it as effectively.

...which sucks, because the dog's owner, would of been a much tastier target, as I had no grudge against the dog. Which leaves me to what I told this irresponsible owner...

WOULD YOU LET YOUR THREE YEAR OLD CHILD, RUN AROUND UNATTENDED?

Nothing burns my ass more, than seeing someone's pet dead, out in the middle of the street/highway. :evil: :evil: :evil: