It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insects in the Wild.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I really, really enjoyed this video.

http://www.dump.com/2011/01/24/insects-in-the-wild-video/

Question, does anyone know what the second to the last song is. I find it to be simple yet beautiful.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject: Re: Insects in the Wild.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

CrimsonEagle wrote:
I really, really enjoyed this video.

http://www.dump.com/2011/01/24/insects-in-the-wild-video/

Question, does anyone know what the second to the last song is. I find it to be simple yet beautiful.

Hi CE!!

It sounds like a piano piece, from a composer by the name of GEORGE WINSTON. I'm a frequent listener to New Age music over the years. Although I cannot guarantee it, it definitely sounds like his style of music. I've listened to so many New Age pieces of music, that sometimes I too, forget where it came from.

George Winston, as well as many other composers, are from THE WINDHAM HILL collection, consisting of several "cream of the crop" selections, from various artists.

I'm an avid listener of New Age music over the years. It helps me sooth "the raging spirit," after spending an evening "troll hunting," over various right wing forums.

Below, is a website I visit frequently. I have already typed in GEORGE WINSTON, in the search box in the past, and there is more than ample music available from him.

Hope you nail down the song but if not, you may enjoy the rest of George Winston's work, nevertheless.

I simple love his music!! :D

http://mp3lemon.org/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Ooooo......Thank you very much for the site, I'll check it out and most likely book mark it:)

I listen to varying music but every once in awhile I come across a piece that really hits something in me and I love it.

I'll go check it out now, and tyvvm:) If all his music has an effect like that piece then I'll be in heaven for awhile:)

Dave.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am 
Hear Me Roar!

CrimsonEagle wrote:
Ooooo......Thank you very much for the site, I'll check it out and most likely book mark it:)

I listen to varying music but every once in awhile I come across a piece that really hits something in me and I love it.

I'll go check it out now, and tyvvm:) If all his music has an effect like that piece then I'll be in heaven for awhile:)

Dave.

Hey, no problem!! I hope you find that particular piece. However and yes, you will enjoy George Winston's works. I've listened to him for years.

As far as that website, I've had that sucker bookmarked for years. (or so it seems like)

God, they got a ton of music and ORGANIZED??? :D

I simply love it!! :D

Take care!!

Greg (ETL)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad to know that other TVNL members like New Age music. :D I have a huge collection of cds of that kind of music. Look for William Ellwood, Danny Wright, Ed Van Fleet, and Neal Hellman. AND if you like very talented piano playing, check out Doug Smith of West Texas. His cd 'HOPE" is marvelous, especially the song "West Texas."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA0LoIhjnkc
This video shows what happened to Doug Smith in a car accident and how he's trying to recover to play the piano again.

Listen to "West Texas" on his cd Hope, played by Doug prior to his accident at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnZoMlV ... re=related

Fantastic story and a remarkable man...and talent. I wish him the very best.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Glad to know that other TVNL members like New Age music. :D I have a huge collection of cds of that kind of music. Look for William Ellwood, Danny Wright, Ed Van Fleet, and Neal Hellman. AND if you like very talented piano playing, check out Doug Smith of West Texas. His cd 'HOPE" is marvelous, especially the song "West Texas."

This video shows what happened to Doug Smith in a car accident and how he's trying to recover to play the piano again.

Listen to "West Texas" on his cd Hope, played by Doug prior to his accident at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnZoMlV ... re=related

Oh my goodness...Thanks Catherine!!

Some I've never heard before. I'll definitely check it out!!

Some of my long time favorites...

Michael Hedges (electronic/various)
Chris Spheeris (electronic/trance)
Yanni (piano/keyboard/orchestra)
Enya (her vocals are "Godlike")
Lisa Lynne (electric harp)
Kitaro (Keyboards/"Silver Cloud"...Excellent CD!!)
Hilary Stagg (electric harp/a must listen!/rest in peace H.S.)
Andreas Vollenweider (electric harp)

How can anyone have a rotten day, after listening to this one, by A. Vollenweider!!

"The secret, the candle and love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvB0wz3grM

Keeps me from reverting to a "dry drunk." :D :bounce: :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like Hillary Stagg. Has he died? :shock: :( I have several of his cds. Enya, too... (I have all of her work), and look for Loreena McKinnett. She set to music my favorite poem by Alfred Noyes, "The Highwayman." I was disappointed in her Christmas cd, though, but otherwise she usually delivers.

I also like music from the 1940s...some of the songs produced during the war years are great. My late father-in-law had a bunch of those types of cds, and since nobody else in the family wanted them after his death, I took them and found the songs fascinating. The Glenn Miller orchestra is timeless, and there was another song on one cd entitled "When that Man is Dead and Gone," a song about wishing/hoping for Hitler's demise! "The Last Time I Saw Paris" is haunting!

When I get a chance, I'll look through all of my New Age collection and see if I can make further recommendations.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:08 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Lol, I'm going to have to bookmark this page just so I have a place to get all these names:)

I had to go to a different site than the one ETL gave me. For some reason that site downloaded very slow for me.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/ is what I ended up at. Typed in George Winston and a ton of his stuff came up. Hit play all and listened to it for a few hours yesterday.

His music really brought me into the moment. Is wonderful stuff.

I'll have to check out some of the other names listed as time allows.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

CrimsonEagle wrote:
Lol, I'm going to have to bookmark this page just so I have a place to get all these names:)

I had to go to a different site than the one ETL gave me. For some reason that site downloaded very slow for me.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/ is what I ended up at. Typed in George Winston and a ton of his stuff came up. Hit play all and listened to it for a few hours yesterday.

His music really brought me into the moment. Is wonderful stuff.

I'll have to check out some of the other names listed as time allows.

Dave

***For some reason that site downloaded very slow for me.

Hummm!!

Sorry to hear that CE!! It's always performed remarkable for me. Possibly network congestion? They have been around for a little while, as their selection is HUGE!! You may try back a little later. Hopefully, it'll run a little smoother for ya!!

Glad you connected with George Winston though. He's one of my "set it, and forget it" artists. Meaning that you can play anyone of his selections/cds, and be happy with any song he plays. Truly a "treasured talent."

...and thanks for the addition link. I'll check it out this evening.

Happy music surfing!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
I like Hillary Stagg. Has he died? :shock: :( I have several of his cds. Enya, too... (I have all of her work), and look for Loreena McKinnett. She set to music my favorite poem by Alfred Noyes, "The Highwayman." I was disappointed in her Christmas cd, though, but otherwise she usually delivers.

I also like music from the 1940s...some of the songs produced during the war years are great. My late father-in-law had a bunch of those types of cds, and since nobody else in the family wanted them after his death, I took them and found the songs fascinating. The Glenn Miller orchestra is timeless, and there was another song on one cd entitled "When that Man is Dead and Gone," a song about wishing/hoping for Hitler's demise! "The Last Time I Saw Paris" is haunting!

When I get a chance, I'll look through all of my New Age collection and see if I can make further recommendations.

Yes Catherine, unfortunately he passed away. Heck, I didn't even know this, until just a few short years ago. Most sources say it was a brief illness. Some sources say it was a type of respiratory illness. Regardless, he died in 1999. He was only 42 years old.

More here...

http://www.last.fm/music/Hilary+Stagg/+wiki

***When I get a chance, I'll look through all of my New Age collection and see if I can make further recommendations.

Please, don't let me stop you!! :D :D :D

p.s. Yes, Glen Miller is "tops" too. I think it would of been so exciting, living through the "swing" years. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
***When I get a chance, I'll look through all of my New Age collection and see if I can make further recommendations.

Please, don't let me stop you!!

Ok...here's a sampling of what I listen to most frequently after Enya and Lorenna McKinnett's music. I heartily recommend all of them:

"Reflections" by Newell Oler (piano - the cd cover has a beautiful photograph of a pair of swans floating down a river which is lined with trees in colorful autumn foliage.)

"An Evening in Tuscany: The Wine Country collection; North Star records. (It's a variety of romantic favorites.)

"Old English Melodies: Traditional Melodies from the English Countryside; flute, recorder, violin, classical guitar, dulcimer, cello, and accordian, produced and arranged by Greg Duncan. This cd is one of my favorites!

"Classical Garden" by Dan Gibson, from Solitudes. (This cd was played during the visitation period at my mother's funeral in 2006...it's that lovely and the nature sounds that accompany the music are wonderful. Mom loved this cd. It was one of the last gifts I gave to her.)

"Maidens of the Celtic Harp" featuring Aine Ni Dhubhghaill, Anne Marie O'Farrell, Emily Cullen, and Cliona Ni Dhuill.

"Any Octave" William Aura, 3rd Force, EKO, and Craig Chaquica. Music specially selected for computer users.

"Guitar by the Sea" from Majestic Moods. John Foley on Guitar. The sounds of waves coming onto shore accompanied by soft guitar....awesome!

"Celtic Traditions"

"Lay Your Hands on Me," by Art Porter

"Appalachian Mountain Suite" by Dan Gibson

I also recomend Peter White on guitar...and I forgot to mention that Cole Porter's music is another of my favories. Anything Goes when it comes to Cole! :D

Here's Loreena McKinnet's "The Highwayman"....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CFM4ev-g8

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:

Ok...here's a sampling of what I listen to most frequently after Enya and Lorenna McKinnett's music. I heartily recommend all of them:

"Reflections" by Newell Oler (piano - the cd cover has a beautiful photograph of a pair of swans floating down a river which is lined with trees in colorful autumn foliage.)

"An Evening in Tuscany: The Wine Country collection; North Star records. (It's a variety of romantic favorites.)

"Old English Melodies: Traditional Melodies from the English Countryside; flute, recorder, violin, classical guitar, dulcimer, cello, and accordian, produced and arranged by Greg Duncan. This cd is one of my favorites!

"Classical Garden" by Dan Gibson, from Solitudes. (This cd was played during the visitation period at my mother's funeral in 2006...it's that lovely and the nature sounds that accompany the music are wonderful. Mom loved this cd. It was one of the last gifts I gave to her.)

"Maidens of the Celtic Harp" featuring Aine Ni Dhubhghaill, Anne Marie O'Farrell, Emily Cullen, and Cliona Ni Dhuill.

"Any Octave" William Aura, 3rd Force, EKO, and Craig Chaquica. Music specially selected for computer users.

"Guitar by the Sea" from Majestic Moods. John Foley on Guitar. The sounds of waves coming onto shore accompanied by soft guitar....awesome!

"Celtic Traditions"

I also recomend Peter White on guitar...and I forgot to mention that Cole Porter's music is another of my favories. Anything Goes when it comes to Cole! :D

Here's Loreena McKinnet's "The Highwayman"....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CFM4ev-g8

***Wonderful collection and thanks!!

Some I've heard before, but most I haven't. Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend. :D

..but I'll call it "a labor of love." :D

"Classical Garden" by Dan Gibson, from Solitudes.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I'm sure you hold this cd close to your heart, as with your mother. May she rest in peace!!

Have a great day!! (and again, thanks for the music)

...and finally, a warmup!! :D :D :D

YIPPEE!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:

Very very nice and thanks Catherine!! :D

I will, listen to more of his music...TODAY!!

I love fresh stuff!! :D :bounce:

I almost cried, listening to his "heart," as well as his voice, regarding his attitude and "self analysis," after his unfortunate accident!!

I don't think I could ever imagine, being such as gifted pianist as he is. Then, listening to your own music, especially after such an accident as he was in. I was waiting for this part. The "looking back" part of the video. His gratitude and total "self humility" well...

"Amazing Grace." Yeah..............................................

Yeah......................................................................

may the spirit live!!

thanks!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:

"Celtic Traditions"

A great and "polished" voice.

I love these "story telling/medieval/gothic" musical pieces.

Being a product of the 70's. I went through a stage of what was known as "progressive rock." My drunk girlfriends hated it, because we couldn't dance to it. However, it's musical level and expertise, couldn't be created by the average rock-n-roll band. That's why it never lasted very long. :cry:

Most rock I listened to after this, amounted to three or four chords on a guitar, and a case of beer. :drunken: :compress:

However, one of my favorite "progressive favorites" is a band called Kansas. Their newer stuff sucks, but their 70's, "Song for America," CD, is quite good. Followed closely behind, by their "Masque" CD. I love the "story telling" types of music, regardless of it's particular musical genre. Kansas, "pulled out all the stops," when they introduced us "drug infested rockers" of that particular time, to their ability to use violins, as their main musical instrument. (or a very close second)

I saw them twice at Elliot Hall of Music here at Purdue. I've also heard various bands there in the past, such as Gary Wright, with his electronic piano and mouge synthesizer. (go away spellcheck)

I love Elliot Hall of music. It has been rated, as one of the finest "accoustic sounding" theaters, in the United States!! Not a bad seat in the house!!

...and at that particular time anyway, and being pretty much "soundproof" to outside noises, it had a remarkable ability, to preserve such "organic gifts from the gods," if you know what I mean!! :D :D :D

Truly a remarkable experience, to say the least!! :drunken: :bounce: :cheers: :compress: :joker:

Thanks again, and will continue listening!!

p.s... talkin' bout amazing grace!! Christ, how did I survive the seventies? :albino: :cyclopsani: :clown: :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A relative of my husband's works with The Police and I like their music, but rock as rock is played (and sung) today just doesn't have the same appeal it had for me in the 80s and 90s. I haven't attended a rock concert in years...even though Elton John came to Asheville, our closest "big" city, in November. Tickets to his concert sold out in a few hours! :cry:

However, when PBS is doing their fund raising, they present some amazing groups and sounds...such as Celtic Thunder, Celtic Woman, and Shaken, Not Stirred. Some of their Oldies shows are amazing....and the musical stars of yesterday have gotten old and somewhat fat! But they can still sing. My husband has Sirius radio in his truck and, when we go on a long trip, we listen to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music. If it wasn't for Sirius and the Internet, those old songs would not have been heard by today's young people, but they seem to love them.

I once heard Doug Smith, the West Texas piano player, say that he never referred to himself as a "PIANIST." He laughed and said that being from West Texas, the title never came out just right and was often "misunderstood." :P So he just referred to himself as a "piano player." :lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman