It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT'S BEST NOT TO BRAG
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 pm 

Few weeks ago I was bragging to my old vintage Ford tractor Internet site pals how warn it was here in the southern heartland...being near 75 degrees on January 15th.

Shouldn't have made such remarks as no doubt one would pay for it later. Sure enough, on Feb. 1st we got 14 inches of snow, and on Feb. 8th we got another 12 inches. I've shoveled, and shoveled, and used the tractor with blade to remove some 3-4 feet of snow drifts from the 1/2 mile driveway. If that wasn't enough work, the highway dept. with their front snow plow put some three feet back into the driveway entrance. Can't win for losing as they say. Now the weather person says it will be up around 67-70 by Valentines day. Now, I'm thinking they are bragging.

Post subject: Re: IT'S BEST NOT TO BRAG
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right you are, KF...I said I wanted a bit of snow this winter, way back there in the golden autumn of 2010... Then, we got the Christmas snow, the January snows, and it's already snowed twice in February, the latest being last night. I'm sick of it...and we've been known to get our heaviest snows in February and March! I remember well the Blizzard of 93...and don't want to experience that again. Next week looks to be sunny, with one or two days going into the 60s..Heat Wave!

I'm glad you have that old vintage Ford tractor. We have a 1950 Ford 8-N "Red Belly," which we use to scrape the driveway, plow the garden, and bushhog. At least you can use your scraper to remove the snow left in your driveway by the state boys...they do that here, too...although the snow isn't quite as deep as you've had.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 pm 

I think the local TV weathermen must have been sipping the 90 proof this morning here in the southern Kansas-northern Oklahoma area. Five towns within 30 miles claim to have had minus 31 degrees, and minus 26 degrees. I don't believe that, as I have three thermometers here in three location around the buildings, and all showed minus 6 degrees. All these five towns are on the same elevation plane, so, there couldn't be a difference of 20 to 25 degrees here. In fact, with these minus figures they laid claim, makes it colder than the North and South Poles. Like I said, these weathermen taking too many swigs from the old 90 proof bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The weather reports vary in my area, too...I usually just listen to my NOAA weather radio to get the info about what to expect, and they're pretty accurate.

I cannot stand to watch the Weather Channel's morning show with that loud-mouthed Stephanie Abrams, the Amazon. She's rude, crude, and talks far too loudly when she's on the air, trying to be cute, which maybe she would be if she wasn't so big-boned and....LOUD. I don't know why GE fired so many of the good meteorologists when they took over. Then they brought Al Roker into the mix, and put him and Abrams on first thing in the morning....awful stuff...IMNSHO. :mrgreen:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman