It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omar Badder: Mubarak Is Gone!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MUBARAK IS GONE! THE DAY YOUNG ARABS WILL NEVER FORGET!

By Omar Badder

The past few weeks have been incredibly moving and emotional for me, watching millions of Egyptians take to the streets with fierce determination to bring fundamental change to Egypt. For those of us who grew up in the Middle East in the 1980s and 1990s, certain political figures and realities seemed completely unalterable, including political repression in large parts of the region, and the perpetual presence of iconic figures like Saddam Hussein and Hosni Mubarak. Iraq and Egypt without them was kind of unimaginable.

That reigning order ceased to be perceived as indestructible in 2003, when the world's super power shook the region by removing Saddam Hussein from power. But that was hardly empowering to the Arab street since that destabilization was externally imposed by a very unpopular war that was vehemently opposed in the region (and indeed the world). If anything, the Iraq war only deepened the feeling of powerlessness in the face major tectonic political shifts which they could not influence in any meaningful way.

This revolution in Egypt is altogether different.

more at the link

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: Omar Badder: Mubarak Is Gone!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:36 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
MUBARAK IS GONE! THE DAY YOUNG ARABS WILL NEVER FORGET!

By Omar Badder

The past few weeks have been incredibly moving and emotional for me, watching millions of Egyptians take to the streets with fierce determination to bring fundamental change to Egypt. For those of us who grew up in the Middle East in the 1980s and 1990s, certain political figures and realities seemed completely unalterable, including political repression in large parts of the region, and the perpetual presence of iconic figures like Saddam Hussein and Hosni Mubarak. Iraq and Egypt without them was kind of unimaginable.

That reigning order ceased to be perceived as indestructible in 2003, when the world's super power shook the region by removing Saddam Hussein from power. But that was hardly empowering to the Arab street since that destabilization was externally imposed by a very unpopular war that was vehemently opposed in the region (and indeed the world). If anything, the Iraq war only deepened the feeling of powerlessness in the face major tectonic political shifts which they could not influence in any meaningful way.

This revolution in Egypt is altogether different.

more at the link

***and these statements here, are my initial "knee jerk reactions," to what has happened over there...

Analysts and commentators will debate and speculate on (and activists and policymakers will try to influence) the exact shape of the aftermath of this revolution (it's useful not to get ahead of ourselves and paint an overly rosy picture because many uncertainties remain). But one thing is not in doubt: this is a new era for the region's youth who now understand that they can and will change the face of the region, and chart their own future. They owe it to the heroic people of Egypt and Tunisia who have inspired us all!

Although you'll have "the perpetual slime" at Faux, spewing their lies and hatred toward the young people of Egypt, Americans generally are in favor of this new transition of power.

Fox better "tread lightly" on this one!! You have millions of Americans right now, fed up with the current events here, in the United States. They are starting to connects the dots of unemployment, "here's my shitty health care crumbs off my White house floor, take it or leave it "NoBama legislation," to an increasingly unpopular war.

...and the increasingly unpopular war, is gaining strength!!

Remember how these right winged bastards, called everyone, including "The Dixie Chicks," Anti-American, for not supporting these unconstitutional wars, based on lies?

When people get pissed off enough, because they can now, connects the dots between jobs, and an oppressive government like ours, linked to these unpopular AND EXPENSIVE WARS, then things will happen. Not once, have I ever seen anyone, that didn't have a "breaking point."

...especially if they go broke, loose their house

AND GET SICK!! (more hospital bills)

I often thought, this would not ever happen. Because in the past, things weren't nearly as bad, as they are now. Granted, our young people in the states here, aren't as politically "fired up," as they were, back in the Kent State days. However, I don't think anyway, that there has been such a positive move/revolution, by so many young people, like the people of Egypt.

..and people indeed, lead by example!!

Successful "dissent," speaks a lot about one's culture. It brings, and although not instantly, "political equilibrium."

I am sooooo happy for the Egyptian people right now!! "Impressed," is simply not a good enough word, for these real heroes right now!!

Traci Chapman, who I accepted as my "personal savior" years ago, said it eloquently in her song here...

Title...REVOLUTION!!

Don't you know you're talking about a revolution
It sounds like a whisper
Don't you know they're talking about a revolution
It sounds like a whisper

While they're standing in the welfare lines
Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
Wasting time in unemployment lines
Sitting around waiting for a promotion

It sounds like a whisper

Poor people are gonna rise up
And get their share
Poor people are gonna rise up
And take what's theirs

Don't you know you better run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run
Oh I said you better run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run

Finally the tables are starting to turn
Talking about a revolution
Talking about a revolution oh no

While they're standing in the welfare lines
Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
Wasting time in unemployment lines
Sitting around waiting for a promotion

It sounds like a whisper

And finally the tables are starting to turn
Talking about a revolution

God, I am sooooo much in love with this woman!! :D :bounce: :D :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKYWOwWAguk

Post subject: Re: Omar Badder: Mubarak Is Gone!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ever heard Bobby Darin sing "A Simple Song of Freedom" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LjW75Z ... re=related

It'll make you CHILL...and were Bobby Darin alive today, I think he would be singing it everywhere.

AND I promise you...if the military draft was still in effect, there would have been a bit more resistance to the Bush wars, which Obama and the Dems promised to end, but haven't yet.

I read a lot of books of many genres...and now and then, often in works of fiction, I'll come across a passage that makes me pause and think. I sometimes even write them down in a notebook I keep for that purpose. I ran across one recently in a book by Harlan Coban entitled Caught:

Quote:
"Think about it, Dan. Throughout mankind, the strongest and brightest did what? They fought in wars. That only stopped this past century. Before that, we sent our absolute best to fight on the front lines. So who stayed home and reproduced while our finest died on distant battlefields? The lame, the sick, the weak, the crooked, the cowardly - in short, the least of us. That's what we are the genetic byproduct of, Dan - millenniums of weeding out the premium and keeping the flotsam. That's why we are all garbage - the dung from centuries of bad breeding."
(From the book Caught by Harlan Coban, page 4. )

I think of so many young men and women who did indeed go to war and who never came back home or did so in a pine box or a body bag. What would have been their contributions to our society had they lived? Now, we see a large part of the military being made up of young men and women who want to serve their country and get their education paid for by the government. Isn't that a hoot? The government cuts education funding to the bone, but if the would-be students will willingly volunteer for military service, why...no problem! You're education will be funded by the government...assuming that you survive. Ironic, isn't it?

Then I think of the likes of W and Cheney and Rove and Limbaugh and Palin and Coulter and Beck and Murdoch and Madoff and Bachman and all of the others...all products of bad breeding, IMO... and look at the trobule they've caused.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman