It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Case of the Returning Sailboat
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

After my father-in-law's death in August of 2009, we found ourselves with a lot of work to do in disposing of all he had accumulated during his long lifetime. One of the larger items left to his children was a rather derelict sailboat. Neither of the four heirs wished to claim it, and they were unsuccessful trying to sell it. So it was covered with tarps and placed on family property, with the heirs telling each other that it could be dealt with "just a little later." Well, to make a long story short, a few months ago, someone stole it. The theft was reported to the local authorities and they did what they could, but we figured no trace of that boat would ever be seen again in our area.

Last weekend, the sailboat came back! It was found parked on the same spot where it had been originally placed. It looked the same to me, but my husband said the rudder and a few other items were gone. The sheriff was as surprised as we were. A deputy has been doing an investigation but I thought this situation was/is really bizarre!
:!: :mrgreen: :?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: The Case of the Returning Sailboat
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:28 pm 

Wow, that is very odd. I guess maybe the people who stole it were having difficulty hiding a gigantic boat. Also, they also probably were tired of dealing with a broke ass boat.

So funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:20 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Strange indeed!! First of all, my kneejerk reaction would be, that they might of been familiar with what was underneath the tarp. I don't know how secluded your father in laws place was, but attempting to steal something that big, without knowing what it was to begin with well, may have been a long shot.

Secondly, and if the robbers knew what was underneath the tarp then, they might of personally known your father in law, or some part of his family. (directly or indirectly) This may explain for number one, why they returned the boat intact, (minus a few parts) AND why they felt confident in returning it without getting caught. Kinda like a combination of respect for your father in law and his family, plus a general confidence of the "lay of the land."

I know gold is well over a thousand bucks an ounce. Was there anything on the rudder or next to it, that was possibly of any value? Something that could easily be stripped or taken apart quickly, for a substantial profit?

A Catholic church down the road from my house was robbed a couple weeks ago. It's funny how they never catch the person who does it either. It doesn't matter which Catholic church it is either. It's ALWAYS the gold plates, cups and challices they use during their mass, that gets ripped off too!!

...did I say, that the price of gold is well over a thousand bucks already? :shock:

...imagine that :roll:

Anyway, it sounds like somewhat of a happy ending to the boat anyway. (seeing as it could of been far worse)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You make some good points, ETL, but if they were after metal objects, I don't know why the thieves didn't keep the mast. It's a huge thing, made of aluminum. :? It's a mystery, but I agree...they had to know something about its location, and that they could depart and come back with a fair amount of safety. The location is rather isolated.

While I'm glad they didn't take the mast, it's still mysterious as to why they'd want the rudder and not the mast. Oh well...my brother-in-law lives in Birmingham, and one of his buddies is coming up tomorrow to look at the boat...and hopefully, will purchase it. :mrgreen:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:40 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
You make some good points, ETL, but if they were after metal objects, I don't know why the thieves didn't keep the mast. It's a huge thing, made of aluminum. :? It's a mystery, but I agree...they had to know something about its location, and that they could depart and come back with a fair amount of safety. The location is rather isolated.

While I'm glad they didn't take the mast, it's still mysterious as to why they'd want the rudder and not the mast. Oh well...my brother-in-law lives in Birmingham, and one of his buddies is coming up tomorrow to look at the boat...and hopefully, will purchase it. :mrgreen:

***You make some good points, ETL, but if they were after metal objects, I don't know why the thieves didn't keep the mast.

Because they wanted to return the boat perhaps?