It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THANKSGIVING PLANS?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

THANKSGIVING PLANS..WHAT ARE YOURS?

We're going to my brother-in-law's house for the big feast...then we'll come home with our granddaughter in tow and put up the Christmas tree on Saturday. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Re: THANKSGIVING PLANS?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, those plans didn't pan out! And I'm not disappointed, either. While I enjoy spending time with the in-laws - at least these in-laws - I don't enjoy making my way through holiday traffic for two hours to their home and then making the same trek back home through even heavier holiday traffic tomorrow. Black Friday crowds are not scenes I am interesting in being a part of. I like to shop locally when I can but I won't be going to Wal-Mart!

Yesterday, I took my granddaughter to a local boutique to pick out her first formal dress for a Christmas dance she will be attending in mid-December. She's 14 - going on 25 - and about a size 2 soaking wet but tall for her age. We found a lovely red satin strapless dress that was marked down to an affordable price. The dress was made for her and it made her so happy to have it. That was fun!

My Thanksgiving Dinner Menu:
Roast turkey breast,
mashed potatoes,
green bean casserole,
corn pudding,
corn bread dressing,
a green salad,
crusty whole wheat rolls
apple pie a la mode

This year I'm thankful for the following things:

1. That the Dems are in control of the Senate for at least two more years.
2. That Obama's mid-term "shellacking" will hopefully make him see that continued attempts to compromise with Republicans are exercises in futility.
3. TV News Lies, Jesse, and the loyal members/friends who still post here.
4. That George Bush no longer lives at 1600 PA Avenue
5. That I am not traveling by air today.
6. My good health and my family.
7. That the economic news was good as of yesterday
8. That Tom Delay was found guilty of money laundering
9. That Sarah Palin can still see Russia from her front porch and that she thinks we should stand firm beside our "North
Korean Allies." :drunken:
10. That Sharon Angle, Christine O'Donnell, and Meg Whitman lost their election bids.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 am 

A very Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. A winter blast come in last night from the mountains of Colorado...no snow and such. Just a bitter cold.

This Thanksgiving Day will be here on the ranch with son and wife, stepson and his family and in-laws.

Catherine, we are having for the big feast...Roasted turkey breast, sugar cured ham, and the wife's favorite...green bean casserole, plus plenty of mashed potatoes, and all the trimings for a grand holiday dinner.

Hope all can have the same, and have a safe trip to grandma's and trip home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANOTHER THANKSGIVING GREETING AND BEST WISHES TO ALL TVNL MEMBERS THAT YOURS WILL BE SAFE, HAPPY, AND FILLING! :D

THIS YEAR, WE'RE HOSTING THE FAMILY. MY SISTER-IN-LAW, HER HUSBAND, AND TWO DAUGHTERS WILL BE FLYING IN FROM SEATTLE AND NEW ORLEANS. BROTHERS-IN-LAW WILL BE COMING IN FROM BIRMINGHAM AND ASHEVILLE. OUR GRANDDAUGHTER WILL BE HERE, TOO...MAKING THIRTEEN FOLKS SITTING AROUND THE OLD ROUND TABLE IN THE DINING ROOM ON THANKSGIVING DAY. EVERYONE IS CONTRIBUTING SOMETHING, SO IT'S NOT GOING TO BE TOO DIFFICULT A DAY.

I AM PREPARING TURKEY BREAST, MASHED SPUDS, GREEN BEANS (CANNED FROM MY GARDEN LAST SUMMER), A CRANBERRY SALAD, ROLLS, PUMPKIN BREAD, AND A PUMPKIN PIE. THE OTHERS ARE BRINGING A HONEY-BAKED HAM, A CRANBERRY COMPOTE, BRUSSELS SPROUTS CASSEROLE, AND BROCCOLI BAKE. WHO KNOWS WHAT THE NIECES AND THE GRANDDAUGHTER WILL CREATE AS THEY'VE ALREADY REQUESTED TIME IN THE KITCHEN. WE'LL HAVE THE PUMPKIN PIE AND A VARIETY OF CHEESECAKES FOR DESSERT, WHITE AND RED WINE, AND WE'LL PROBABLY END THE FEAST WITH GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE RAISED TO ABSENT FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS.

I'M THANKFUL FOR TVNL, ALL OF MY FRIENDS AT THIS WEBSITE AND OFF, MY HEALTH AND THE GOOD HEALTH OF OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS, THAT MY HUSBAND'S BUSINESS IS STILL FLOURISHING, THAT OUR LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY IS DOING EXCELLENT WORK AND BEING FUNDED BY INCREASED SALES AT ITS THRIFT SHOP, THAT THE GOP'S PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDERS ARE SO NUTTY AND UNELECTABLE, THAT OSAMA BIN LADEN AND MUAMAR KADAFFI ARE DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, THAT THE OCCUPY WALL STREET PROTESTS ARE TAKING PLACE, AND THAT KEITH OLBERMAN, RACHEL, ED, LAWRENCE, AND A FEW OTHERS ARE STILL ON THE AIR, REPORTING THE TRUTH ABOUT THE REPUBS.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYBODY!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:30 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! I hope that it is a day of peace, happiness, and good food for all of us. Let us all reflect on the people that we are grateful to know and also for the wonders of our existence --- from the smallest parts of the atom to the stars themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 am 

I have had so many phone calls this week, long, long conversations. True, this area is horribly rightwing, but if the conversation doesn't slide into politics, it is good to hear people and their personal concerns.

I guess it was a Thanksgiving thing, calling someone you haven't talked to in a long while.

Added to the things to be thankful for from the other posts are people who don't agree with you on politics but are still interesting and good to talk with. I don't like the feeling that I am on a leash, but one can't have everything.

And add Democracy Now! to the list of programs that cover real events, not celebrity and certainly not propaganda. And, the Young Turks will be on Current at 7 PM starting next week.

A lot to celebrate and for which to give thanks.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to see you, dori! And I'm glad you had all those calls on Thanksgiving. I agree that it's fun to talk to folks who may not agree with us politically and who can actually steer around that and maintain the friendship. One of my fellow volunteers at the humane society's thrift shop is like that....a great fellow, except for his rightwing viewpoint. Thanks for that info about the Young Turks! :bounce: :bounce: AND Democracy Now! is certainly a program to be thankful for! :D

We played Apples to Apples after the big meal on Thanksgiving Day...had a blast playing it. Here's what Wiki says about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_to_Apples

If you get a chance to play this game with four to ten players, you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

After the game, we had dessert, more champagne, and ended the evening about 11 pm, full and content. :drunken: :mrgreen:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:39 am 

Apples to Apples sounds like a great game! Thank you for the link.

My gosh, it has been many, many years since I have played any games. I am sure I would enjoy this one.

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. We all need that rest once in a while.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm 

I wish myself back on board... Life has been fun in certain places. Had a great Thanksgiving....just wife and myself, and didn't have to share it with the daughter-in-law father. He eats for four people...all at once. Then there's hadness to except in the family. Of the four older brothers and four sisters living..plus me being in the middle with the oldest brother Art just past his 93rd birthday, and walks three miles each day, plus stopping by Braums to get a strawberry shake afterwards, shares our sorrow. My oldest sister Elsie had a stroke in mid October, and now resides in a special care nursing home...just waiting her time out. And just this past Monday, brother James... age 85 had to be rushed to the hospital...results...fluid on the lungs.. They removed 1-1/2 quarts of fluid from one lung and less from the other. Finding out yesterday he has lung canser and might live two years. Can't say we are blessed, but, here we are, all nine in ages from 68 to 93 still alive. However, life ends for the average in those years.

I'm back on board all due to the fact I just got a new Computer...that works. The older one...age 11 years saw it's final burial place. I can now log on and with a bat of the eye the computer is ready. The older one, I could turn it on. take a nap and still wait for it to do it's thing. I would have given it a swift kick, but, probably end up in the hospital with a brokem foot.
This computer has the Windows 7 operating system and that's a new learning process. However, I'm goog at mastering what other fail other fail at.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another thing to be thankful for...seeing DORI, KING FISHER and WILL IN CHICAGO, ALL IN ONE WEEK! YIPPEE...LIFE DOES STILL CLING TO TVNL! :P

King Fisher, I wish I had your genes! :mrgreen: Glad you have the family still remaining at their respective ages! And glad you're still around too...at TVNL, I mean!

Congrats on getting the new computer...I expect to see you much more often! :bounce:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ONCE AGAIN, EVERYONE!

I am so thankful that President Obama was re-elected, I can't stop smiling! I'm also thankful that my husband's biking accident wasn't as bad as it could have been and that he continues to heal, although still in rehab. Other things I am thankful to the gods and goddesses for are another clean mammogram and the beautiful weather today. Here are ten other things I'm also thankful for, but think progress is much better at displaying them:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/ ... nkful-for/

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman