It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Will you NOW curtail your intake of french fries?
OMG Yes 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
No way 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
I'll have a double order of freedom fries. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Can French Fries Cause Breast Cancer?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:30 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Apparently eating them early in one's life can be a contributing factor later on according to a new study conducted by Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and Harvard Medical School.
Quote:
IrishHealth.com
Breast cancer risk from chips

Pre-school children who eat a lot of French fries may be more likely to develop breast cancer as adults, new research has indicated.

Researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and Harvard Medical School in the USA say that diet early in life can play a role in the development of diseases in women later in life.

The new study provides additional evidence that breast cancer may originate during the early phases of a woman’s life and that eating habits during that phase may be particularly important to reduce future risk of breast cancer.

The study surveyed 582 nurses who had breast cancer and more than 1500 who did not have breast cancer . Their mothers were asked how often their children had eaten 30 different foods when they were at pre-school age.

The researchers estimated that for each additional serving of French fries per week that a woman ate as a pre-schooler, her risk of getting breast cancer later in life increased by 27%.

The study indicated that while eating potatoes was not associated with increased risk, the preparation of chips through frying in fat high in saturated fats and trans-fatty acids, may be of relevance in the later development of cancer.

The study found, however, that other junk foods such as hot dogs or ice-cream did not have the same breast cancer risk.

The research is published in the International Journal of Cancer.

Google News has eighty articles on this story which can be found HERE.

Got ketchup?

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

sheesh...they don't know what causes it...it used to be smoking...then it was coffee....then it was something else...then it was birth control pills...then it was estrogen....i mean christ almighty...women have enough to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:48 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

There is a definite link between heat and the formation of a substance called Acrylimides. The hotter, more charred we cook our foods, the more acrylimides are formed on it. This is the link to cancer they don't want you to know. Not to mention that potatoes, tomatoes and belladonna etc are all members of the deadly nightshade family.

If you wish to have Fries, cook them yourself in olive oil and do it at a lower temperature, below 175 degrees celsius, and the acrylimides are half of what McScumbo's high temp. veggie oils with beef tallow are cooked at.

http://health14.homestead.com/
This site has a list of the 10 worst fast foods we eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

jesus, DO.g's...i always hated reading stuff !! (like that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well... when I was growing up we didn't have a MackyD's or Burgler King on every corner in town... now we do... so I imagine that NOW is when people should reconsider their daily dietary ingestion of fast food items, like french fries, chips, burgers, hot dogs... etc.

And now, unlike when I was growing up, I buy my meat at a market that does NOT use antibiotics or hormones in their animals AND feeds them a vegetarian diet... yes, I pay more... so? Not only is it better for me and Mrs. Stripey but it tastes like meat used to taste before... well before they started messing with it...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates