It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a thread I would like to start. Am I off base?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:23 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Every once in a while I can be thinking about something, when all of a sudden, another thought will come into head with such persistence, I have no choice but to look at it and examine the thought involved. This thought I am about to bring up I have thought about many times. There seems to be no apparent reason that it comes up, but every time it does, I examine it once again. I would like to start a thread on this just to see what others thoughts are on this. This may be a bit controversial but I would ask for there not to be any angry retorts to anything said by myself, nor by anyone else. These are just questions to force us to look deeper, in the search for truth.

I would like to talk about technology and how it affects our lives. Is it really for the good of the humans of this earth, or is it in fact a detriment to our survival? Yes, I think we can all agree how nice all of these gadgets are that we have, and how easy they have made our lives compared to even as short a time as 100 years ago. Technology has also allowed us to live longer and healthier lives over all. It has allowed us to also cure many diseases that would have once been fatal and has allowed us to prevent much suffering. Technology has also made this once very large world seem very small.

Yes, all of these things appear to be for the betterment of mankind, but is it? Has technology in essence taken nature, and natural selection out of the picture. Is it wrong that we, natures creations, have now become the creators? We now tamper with the very creations which nature in it's balanced way created. We have done this through gene manipulation of our food source so that they grow bigger, more abundant, and altered from how nature created them. Because of technology we can now destroy thousands of acres of forests in a week which we will keep doing because we can. We now pollute the air, and destroy everything we come in contact with. We can also now with weapons literally destroy all life on this planet. Is this what nature intended, or are we like a virus? An uninvited guest which makes the host ill.

I will use the deer population as an example of how nature intends things to be.
The deer live in the woods obviously. They browse around the woods feeding on acorns, budding leaves, apples, clover, etc., etc. And they mate, and multiply. Now, what happens is that their population is held in check by for the most part predators, such as wolves. But, if the population grows too quickly, and the predators are not able to keep the population in balance, then there becomes a food shortage. If there is a food shortage, (Up here in the North) and there is a bad winter, then the deer start to starve, and die of starvation, starting with the weakest first. The healthiest of them survive. The same could be done with the predators also. To many of them, and not enough deer. This would be natural selection at its most basic form. There are a lot more variables, but you get the picture.

Now as for us humans, well, us in the civilized countries at least, we have all but eliminated this. It is now almost considered a sin to die, they will keep people alive on machines because we have come to think of death as such a terrible thing that we cannot handle it. There are now no more checks, and the balance is off. Well, there may be one check, war, but this is not natural, this is man made. Now people who would have in the not to distant past died of certain ailments are all but guaranteed to live to full maturity and beyond. We of course as compassionate humans see this as a good thing, because we do not like to see suffering, we do not like to see illness, and of course we do no like to see death. But I have to ask, are we attempting to supersede Nature as ruler of this earth? Are we arrogant enough to think that we can actually do this?

I look at what my grandfather has seen in his 87 years of life, and I am astounded by what he has seen in such a short time. (for human history) How can I not be? Where for thousands of years, there was no real technology then all of a sudden, in 100 year we have all that surrounds us should set fear into our hearts. Nature moves very slowly towards a certain goal, yet we all of a sudden decide to bust out of that pace and fly like lightning to the point we now stand. I say this should set fear into our hearts because this shows that we did not fully think out what the reactions of nature would be to our actions. We are starting to realize it now though. I'm just wondering if its too late.

We now see diseases, and viruses that are resistant to our efforts of stopping them. We also see new diseases emerging and spreading like wildfire because we are now globalized. We have damaged the protective atmosphere which surrounds us and because of this the earth is starting to warm. We poisoning our land and oceans which are also knocking nature off balance. We know all this, yet we still continue. What is worse is that WE CAN NOT STOP!

If we have done this much damage in such a short amount of time, I cannot help but wonder how much time we have left before nature has had enough. Nature gave us everything we needed for survival, but we were not content with that, we were not happy with what nature gave us. We wanted more. So we took and took and took what we wanted. I look at this and I cannot help but wonder. Are we really any better than the capitalists who are now forcing us to fight a war? Have we not declared a war on nature? And do you really think that we can win?

No. We cannot win. Nature MUST balance itself and since it is obviously us who are the ones throwing it off balance, we are the ones who it is going to eradicate.
If we are lucky, there will be a few survivors, stragglers here and there. As the centuries go by all this technology around us will waste away to nothingness, buried and forgotten. The survivors will tell their children what happened, and the children will tell their children. History will become legend, legend will become myth, and myth will become forgotten. In a few thousand years maybe one of their decedents will come upon a ruin of this once great civilization and wonder just what happened. Hopefully they will have more wisdom than we have, because it is apparent that we have none.

Lets keep having these wars, lets keep the ball rolling in the direction it is moving, we have obviously not earned the right to rise above what we are. Such a shame. Such a shame.

CrimsonEagle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:40 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Technology is a term that is a substitute for the word science. It is a polite way of softening the progress of science and making it acceptable to the mastery of nature by the masses. No one criticised Karl Popper when he coined the phrase "The Open Society" after WWII. It was considered unproblematic and the progress of science was understood to be paralleled by that of society. The loss of community, or our roots, to the idea of individualism and cold politics seemed no threat to human ties and mass society no threat to meaningful participation. So we substitute the less positively charged term Technology for Science. This has left us with a pervasive doubt that the mastery of nature is a very good idea. Since that time some 60 years ago we can clearly see how the world has suffered from our choices and there is a growing expressed sentiment of lostness and powerlessness on the part of individual citizens, as we are literally rooted to the soil for our survival.

It is to mans' own detriment that we feel we are the "Crown of Creation" and can rise above the Laws of Nature. The possible dangers that we ignored in our breaking away from the community based foundations as a sacrifice for our individuality, in our accepting of science and its spawn technology, has given us the distraction we needed to accept individuality. This has become not a game of survival and sharing, but of greed and growth and technology is the means we use to acquire this end.

If growth is the form of demise for the creatures of the earth, who greedily exploit the wealth of the land, without thought of replacing it, then we are on a collision course to reckoning with the laws of nature. You cannot ignore the law for long or it will find a way of getting you. We have lost the imperative to think about how the development of technology affects the whole of life and how our individual quest for hedonistic pleasure is affecting our life on earth.

If, as Santayana stated, history repeats itself and we don't learn from it, our fear and insecurity will be the stimulus our surviving generations will adopt and their ruins will be another footnote in time, on top of ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:41 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Machines and objects to overtake humans on the Internet: ITU
Nov 17 7:55 AM US/Eastern
Email this story

Machines will take over from humans as the biggest users of the Internet in a brave new world of electronic sensors, smart homes, and tags that track users' movements and habits, the UN's telecommunications agency predicted.

In a report entitled "Internet of Things", the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) outlined the expected next stage in the technological revolution where humans, electronic devices, inanimate objects and databases are linked by a radically transformed Internet.

"It would seem that science fiction is slowly turning into science fact in an 'Internet of Things' based on ubiquitous network connectivity," the report said Thursday, saying objects would take on human characteristics thanks to technological innovation.

"Today, in the 2000s, we are heading into a new era of ubiquity, where the 'users' of the Internet will be counted in billions and where humans may become the minority as generators and receivers of traffic," it added.

Currently there are about 875 million Internet users worldwide, a number that may simply double if humans remain the primary users of the future.

But experts are counting on tens of billions of human and inanimate "users" in future decades.

They would be tied into an all pervasive network where there would be no need to power up a computer to connect -- "anytime, anywhere, by anyone and anything", the report said.

Remote computer-controlled household appliances are already appearing, as well as prototype cars with collision-avoidance sensors.

Mobile phones can be used as electronic train tickets while meat exports from Namibia or goods for US retail chain Wal-Mart are tagged with sensors to allow them to be tracked.

The ITU's vision goes further, highlighting refrigerators that independently communicate with grocery stores, washing machines that communicate with clothing, implanted tags with medical equipment and vehicles with stationary or moving objects.

Industrial products would also become increasingly "smart", gaining autonomy and the intelligence thanks to miniaturised but more powerful computing capacity.

"Even particles and 'dust' might be tagged and networked", the ITU said.

"In this way the virtual world would map the real world, given that everything in our physical environment would have its own identity (a passport of sorts) in virtual cyberpsace," the report forecast.

The trend is being fuelled by a small number of technological developments, including miniature radio frequency RFID electronic tags that allow immediate identification and tracking, and new sensor technology, as well as smart devices and nanotechnology.

While the report laid out economic opportunities, a huge expansion of the IT industry and innovation in a wide range of fields from health to entertainment, it also warned of a number of challenges, including privacy issues.

Some of the applications envisaged for emerging RFID tags are to replace human ID documents, track consumer habits, or banknotes.

The ITU said tighter linkages would be needed between those that create the technology and those that use it to cope with its forecast new world.

"In a world increasingly mediated by technology, we must ensure that the human core of our activities remains untouched," the report concluded.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/1 ... qci9l.html

I'm not sure yet
:?: