A prisoner at the U.S Navy base at Guantánamo Bay is not attending his parole board hearing because he does not want to submit to what he considers an overly intrusive body search, according to a statement released Friday from a military official appointed to represent him.
Mohammed al-Shimrani, who has been held at the U.S. base in Cuba without charge for 12 years, is scheduled to appear Monday before the Periodic Review Board, which is to consider whether he can be transferred back to his native Saudi Arabia.
The review process began last year as part of a renewed effort by President Barack Obama to close the prison and the board is expected to evaluate about half of the 154 men still held there.
Shimrani, 39, says he will not attend because the body search, in which guards touch the area near his genitals, is “humiliating and degrading,” according to the statement.
The personal representative, a military officer appointed to represent him at the review board, said the prisoner has refused meetings at the prison and turned down dental appointments because of the searches.