TV News LIES

Sunday, Feb 22nd

Last update09:11:22 AM GMT

You are here News Health 1st wrongful death chewing tobacco deal reached

1st wrongful death chewing tobacco deal reached

E-mail Print PDF

Chewing tobacco deal reachedA smokeless tobacco company has agreed to pay $5 million to the family of a man who died of mouth cancer in what the family's attorney and an expert called the first wrongful death settlement from chewing tobacco. Attorney Antonio Ponvert III told The Associated Press on Tuesday that U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Co. agreed to pay $5 million to the family of Bobby Hill of Canton, N.C.

"This company manufactures and sells a dangerous and defective product that it knows causes addiction, disease and death in consumers who use it as intended," Ponvert said. The company, which makes Copenhagen and Skoal brands and was headquartered in Greenwich, Conn. before it was acquired by Altria last year, confirmed the settlement in a regulatory filing, but declined further comment.

Mark Gottlieb, director of the Tobacco Products Liability Project at Northeastern School of Law in Boston, said he believes it's the first case of its kind and predicted more lawsuits involving smokeless tobacco. "I think this is sort of a wakeup call to the plaintiff's bar that there are a lot of victims of smokeless tobacco use out there and it's possible these cases can be successful," Gottlieb said.

Past lawsuits against smokeless tobacco makers were not successful and lawyers focused more on cigarette makers due to stronger evidence to back up their claims even though smokeless tobacco is harmful as well, Gottlieb said.

"The cigarette is sort of the dirty needle of nicotine delivery," Gottlieb said. Tobacco companies have traditionally vigorously fought such lawsuits, Gottlieb said.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


NYC nurses strike ends after NewYork-Presbyterian nurses ratify new contract

NY PresbyterianNewYork-Presbyterian nurses have ratified a new three-year contract, ending the largest and longest walkout by nurses...

Judge blocks planned Trump administration health cuts to Democratic states

Judge Manish ShahThe Trump administration cannot proceed with plans to rescind $602 million in public health grants from...

New York hospital ends transgender treatment program for minors

NYU Langone Health HospitalNYU Langone Health, one of New York City’s major hospital networks, announced this week that it...

U.S. ultimatum to vaccine group: No more funds unless you stop using thimerosal

US demands change 9n vaccineThe U.S. government has given an ultimatum to the international group that helps provide vaccines to...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!