A report by the US military into the suicide of a Guantanamo detainee last year has criticised the facility's guards and medical staff for not following correct procedure.
Al Jazeera has obtained a copy of the report into the suicide of Adnan Latif, a 31-year-old Yemeni man who overdosed on anti-psychotic medication last September.
Latif was pronounced dead on September 8, 2012, the same day that his mother died, according to the report.
Investigators said military guards and medical staff at the prison treated Latif differently from other detainees because of his outstanding mental health issues, and in many cases did not follow established rules for handling difficult detainees.
The report indicates that this failure to follow standard operating procedures made it possible for Latif to hoard various medicines in his cell, and act that should have been all-but impossible.
The report calls for improved training and coordination among medical, legal, and intelligence staff by the Guantanamo commander.
More...



Crystal Hefner, the widow of late Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, has alleged that his scrapbooks and...
Sami al-Saei said he heard the Israeli prison guards who raped him laughing through the assault,...
Millions of files related to the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein suggest the existence of...
The Israeli Prison Service has begun preparations to introduce the death penalty for Palestinian prisoners, Israeli...





























