TV News LIES

Monday, May 18th

Last update07:08:01 AM GMT

You are here News Military President Obama to recognize military suicides with condolence letters

President Obama to recognize military suicides with condolence letters

E-mail Print PDF

Mility to send condolence letters after suicidesReversing a longstanding policy, the White House has decided to send condolence letters from President Barack Obama to the families of service members who commit suicide while deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and other combat zones.

The president had been weighing a change in the policy since December 2009, and it took effect this week. “The president feels strongly that we need to destigmatize the mental health costs of war to prevent these tragic deaths, and changing this policy is part of that process,” a senior White House official said in a statement to POLITICO.

The review “was exhaustive and difficult, as this is an emotional, painful and complicated issue,” the official said.

And, “As a result of this review, the President has decided to change the administration’s policy and will now send condolence letters to families of service members that commit suicide while deployed to Operation New Dawn (OND), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and other combat operations,” the White House added.

In fiscal 2009, 160 members of the Army committed suicide, and 1,713 suicide attempts were reported. Between 2005 and 2009, 22.8 percent of Army suicides took place in combat zones. Overall, across all the armed forces, more than 1,100 service members committed suicide in that same five-year period.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


4 crew members ejected safely after Navy jets crashed at Idaho show

Navy fighter jets collideAn air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base in southwestern Idaho was canceled on Sunday,...

Remains of 2nd U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco have been recovered

Renains of second soldier recoveed in MoroccoThe remains of the second U.S. Army soldier who went missing during military exercises in Morocco...

Pentagon quietly shut legally required program to prevent civilian deaths by military, watchdog finds

PentagonThe Pentagon has quietly dismantled a program it is legally required to operate to prevent and...

Hegseth’s latest attack on Kelly underlines alarm over US weapons stockpiles

HegsethDefense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s latest attack against Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) is underscoring the alarm over...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!