TV News LIES

Saturday, Feb 21st

Last update02:37:51 AM GMT

You are here News Military U.S. Soldier Convicted In 'Thrill Kill' Of Afghans

U.S. Soldier Convicted In 'Thrill Kill' Of Afghans

E-mail Print PDF

Soclier convicted of Afghanistan thrill crimeA U.S. Army soldier accused of exhorting his bored underlings to slaughter three civilians for sport was convicted of murder, conspiracy and other charges Thursday in one of the most gruesome war crimes cases to emerge from the Afghan war.

Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, of Billings, Mont., was the highest ranking of five soldiers charged in the deaths of the unarmed men during patrols in Kandahar province early last year. At his seven-day court martial at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle, the 26-year-old acknowledged cutting fingers off corpses and yanking out a victim's tooth to keep as war trophies, "like keeping the antlers off a deer you'd shoot."

But he insisted he wasn't involved in the first or third killings, and in the second he merely returned fire.

Prosecutors said Gibbs and his co-defendants knew the victims posed no danger, but dropped weapons by their dead bodies to make them appear to have been combatants.

Three of the co-defendants pleaded guilty, and two of them testified against him, portraying him as an imposing, bloodthirsty leader. Gibbs' lawyer insisted they conspired to blame him for what they had done and told the five jurors the case represented "the ultimate betrayal of an infantryman."

The jury deliberated for about four hours before convicting him. He faces, at minimum, life with parole, and at maximum life without it. The sentencing hearing began immediately after the verdict was announced.

The investigation into the 5th Stryker Brigade unit exposed widespread misconduct — a platoon that was "out of control," in the words of a prosecutor, Maj. Robert Stelle. The wrongdoing included hash-smoking, the collection of illicit weapons, the mutilation and photography of Afghan remains, and the gang-beating of a soldier who reported the drug use.

In all, 12 soldiers were charged; all but 2 have now been convicted.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


US military strike kills three in second alleged drug boat attack this week

US military strike kills three more boatsThe US military launched a strike on an alleged drug smuggling boat in the eastern Pacific...

Retired Army general predicts ‘formidable’ US military action against Iran if Trump pulls trigger

Gen. Jack KeaneRetired four-star U.S. Army Gen. Jack Keane said he believes President Trump is inching closer to...

VA reverses on new disability rating rule after intense backlash

Dept. of Veterans AffairsThe Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) this week abruptly reversed course on a new rule requiring...

Judge blocks Hegseth, Pentagon bid to punish Mark Kelly over ‘illegal orders’ video

Sen.Mark KellyA federal judge on Thursday blocked the Pentagon’s efforts to censure Sen. Mark Kelly and lower...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!