TV News LIES

Sunday, May 17th

Last update06:50:25 AM GMT

You are here News War British Troops in Iraq Accused of Abusing Detainees

British Troops in Iraq Accused of Abusing Detainees

E-mail Print PDF

British troops in IraqA lawyer for 200 Iraqis demanding a public inquiry into what they have described as brutal mistreatment by British soldiers in a secret detention center near Basra told the High Court in London on Friday that the abuse amounted to “Britain’s Abu Ghraib.”

They buttressed that assertion with video recordings that appeared to show British interrogators bullying, humiliating and threatening a detainee. The opening day of the court hearing featured some of the most sensational accusations made against the British forces in years of inconclusive lawsuits and official inquiries.

At the heart of the latest court action is the contention that the abuses began on March 20, 2003, the day that British forces entered Iraq, continued almost until the last British troops withdrew in 2009, and were encouraged by army training procedures.

At least nine detainees are said to have died as a result of their mistreatment.

Michael Fordham, the lawyer for the former detainees, said they had been subjected to beatings, starvation, sleep deprivation, electric shocks, prolonged periods of nakedness and sexual humiliation by female soldiers, sensory deprivation through the enforced use of hoods, earmuffs and blackened goggles, and exposure to pornographic DVDs.

“Is this Britain’s Abu Ghraib?” Mr. Fordham asked the panel of three High Court judges, referring to the most feared of Saddam Hussein’s prisons, which became the principal American detention center after the invasion. Abuses of Iraqis by American guards at the prison, first revealed in the spring of 2004, shook the Bush administration, and contributed to growing popular disillusionment with the Iraq invasion in the United States.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


Somali Pirates Demand $10M Ransom for Oil Tanker Owned by Emirati Company

Home of Somali ipiratesAmid ongoing disruptions to maritime shipping in the Middle East due to the closure of the...

Judge conditionally agrees to cancel Comey appearance in Trump threat case

James ComeyA federal judge in North Carolina conditionally agreed to cancel former FBI Director James Comey’s upcoming...

Trump calls Iran response to peace plan 'unacceptable.' What we know

President of IranPresident Donald Trump declined Iran's response to his peace framework to end hostilities in the war,...

US launches 'self-defense strikes' on Iran: Live war updates

Strait od Hormuz attacsksThe Pentagon said the U.S. military launched "self-defense strikes" on Iranian targets Thursday after "unprovoked" attacks...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!