Wednesday, Oct 07th

Last update03:28:32 AM GMT

You are here News War Iraq war inquiry Tony Blair 'regrets' Iraq deaths but says Britain must stop apologising for invasion

Iraq war inquiry Tony Blair 'regrets' Iraq deaths but says Britain must stop apologising for invasion

E-mail Print PDF

Tony Blair and George W. BushToany Blair insisted today that Britain had to give up the "wretched policy of apology" for the allies' action in Iraq. But he offered the Chilcot inquiry his regrets for the loss of life in Iraq. At his appearance before the inquiry last year he was heavily criticised for not answering a question about whether he regretted the invasion.

At the end of his evidence this afternoon he said it had never been his meaning. "Of course I regret deeply and profoundly the loss of life," he said. As he extended his regrets to British and allied troops and Iraqis, there were murmurs of "too late" from the public seating behind him.

In his second appearance before the Chilcot inquiry the former prime minister repeated the warning he gave in evidence a year ago that Iran was a "looming, coming challenge" to the peace and stability of the whole region and must be tackled.

He accused the Tehran regime of fomenting terrorism and destabilising the Middle East, deliberately impeding chances of peace.

"The Iranians are doing this because they fundamentally disagree with our way of life," he said. "At some point we have got to get our head out of the sand and understand Iraq is one part of a far bigger picture right across the region. People are going to have to face that struggle."

Blair told the inquiry today that he regarded the advice of his government's attorney general that the invasion of Iraq would be illegal as only "provisional" during the run-up to the war in early 2003.

In a written statement to the inquiry and in oral evidence, he said he was entitled to ignore the advice of Lord Goldsmith and was not obliged to inform the US president, George Bush, of internal discussions taking place among legal officials in London.


Most Recent Related Stories...

Top general on Afghan hospital raid: US brass behind decision to strike

US General blames US for hospital hitThe top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Campbell, accepted the United States’ responsibility Tuesday for...

U.N.: Civilian casualties in Afghanistan reach record levels

Afghanistan civilian casualtiesThe number of women and children killed or injured through the year in Afghanistan increased by...

Medical charity says up tp 20 dead in air strike on northern Afghan hospital, including 3 children

Hopsital hit by US in AfghanistanThe United States has been condemned for launching an airstrike on a Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors...

The Company Getting Rich Off the ISIS War

Paul WolfowitzFor the Middle East, the growth of the self-proclaimed Islamic State has been a catastrophe. For...
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support!
TVNL Tee Shirt
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support!
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support!
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!