In 2002, at the height of the outcry over the sexual abuse of minors by Roman Catholic priests, the Archbishop of New York, Edward M. Egan, issued a letter to be read at Mass. In it, he offered an apology about the church's handling of sex-abuse cases in New York and in Bridgeport, Conn., where he was previously posted....
Now, 10 years later and in retirement, Cardinal Egan has taken back his apology.
He said many more things in the interview, some of them seemingly at odds with the facts. He repeatedly denied that any sex abuse had occurred on his watch in Bridgeport. He said that even now, the church in Connecticut had no obligation to report sexual abuse accusations to the authorities. (A law on the books since the 1970s says otherwise.) And he described the Bridgeport diocese's handling of sex-abuse cases as "incredibly good." ...



Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in Texas by a federal...
Venezuela's acting president on Thursday signed into law an amnesty bill that could lead to the...
Chris Tackett started tracking extremism in Texas politics about a decade ago, whenever his schedule as...





























